cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Summery - Showing Vents on round or non-planer surfaces.

Re: Summery - Showing Vents on round or non-planer surfaces.

It seems as though there are not very many options for showing vents on non-planer or round surfaces, here are the responses I received:

- Danny Springs –
Offset the surfs and cut in the vent or project a curve and sweep the surf.

- Brent Drysdale –
• Project a datum curve onto the model then is this in your drawing. You project this curve onto whatever the surface is, flat or shaped. This will give you an item that you can parametrically control. I have stopped using Cosmetic items for most features such as engraving since the Datum curves are real features and can even be used later to pick edge if necessary
• Use projected datum curve but sketch your own hatch inside the area you want. Tedious but will show up on both the drawing and the model and is fully parametric.
• Cheat and put your hatch on a flat surface that shows on a drawing (but is NOT correct on the model).
• Copy the non flat surface then trim it to the shape you want and color it different to the model. You may then have to offset the surface by 0.01mm to have it show the color properly.
• Model the vents. If they have to go in they will need 3D machining so why not create the vent with offset surfs and cut it away from the mould surface? If you want you could then color the resultant vent surface another color.
I see the point of creating the vent as a cut, and for the most part this seems very logical, except when you are dealing with very large assemblies or very intricate parts. These additional cuts, especially if using a surface feature, can add considerable time to the regeneration sequence and/or drawing retrieval. Also depending on the accuracy setting in the part, it could cause problems (failures) when you try to make a cut that is only .0002-.0010 deep.

The other down fall of cutting the vent into the part is that it still does not show hatch. I am not sure about anybody else but, the standard in my area seems to be that you show a vent on a drawing with hatch, to clearly show the areas to be vented.

Thanks to the couple of replies,

Doug