cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Reference assembly

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Reference assembly

We have a very large assembly structure that we need to use as a background for an installation of sub-components. We need to show the geometry and be able to position subcomponents against the structure. One person is doing the structure and another is doing the subcomponent positioning. Neither file is in their finished design so there are daily changes to both.

We want to show the structure as 0 weight in the subcomponent drawing file. I am guessing that we want to use copy geom over a skeleton or shrinkwrap. Do we want internal or external copy geom? I am thinking external copy geom so the subcomponent designer can control it from the larger assembly without the larger assembly designer having to do the copy geom update.

Any advice would be appreciated as this is a time critical design that is nearing completion and the designers are clashing over their pieces.

1 REPLY 1

Normally when we are doing large machine layouts, we use a mix of skeletons and simplified geometry. The skeleton controls the placement of the simplified geometry. As you know, there are multiple ways to simplify the geometry. We use many different techniques but the one I might suggest is PVZ. You can export parts/assemblies as PVZ and reimport them to use as lightweight geometry. Since the file isn't tied to the parent CAD file, the person doing the layout can do their thing without worrying about the other team members. You do need to update every once in a while. If the envelope isn't changing as much as the internal detail, this isn't an issue.

There are other simplification techniques that would work (and we use). Here are a few:

• Merge parts (merge assembly into a single part) - ext. copy geom
  • Skeletons
  • DXF/DWG (2D whatever)
  • Part files (dummy parts that look similar to the actual part/assembly)
  • Publish/Copy geometry

Ty

Top Tags