cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regeneration errors in Merged Parts/Assemblies?

Re: Regeneration errors in Merged Parts/Assemblies?

Hi Guys,

The techniques I used to drive proe starting at rev 18 are no longer relevant because PTC have made radical improvements to their product. PTC won't necessarily fix a particular problem but the may provide a new and impoved method.

So to fix the regen problem at hand lets start looking from a new perspective, is merge/imheritance the best way to go, or is there a simpler method to achieve our goal ?

As i see it we are trying to make a single part to 'REPRESENT' a sub-assembly, so from within the sub-assembly (make ure you are in 'master rep), go to View/Envelope Manager and create New Envelope (call it single_solid), hit the check box at the the top of the chooser window and ensure everything is included. Now hit the Envelope Part tab, select the'All Solid Surfaces Subset Shrinkwrap' option and name it 'single_solid_env'. Use your start part as template. Hit the 'Subset' tab, hit the check box at the the top of the chooser window and ensure everything is ignored, select the parts that you want in the 'single solid' and change them to 'Consider' and hit 'OK'. Go the the 'options tab' and hit the 'Solidify resulting Geometry' button (this where you can also control the Dependency !), hit OK, OK. The 'envelope part' will now be at the bottom of the model tree( Make sure it is switched on in the tree filter). Pick the 'envelope part' in the model tree, right click, Representation, Use envelope. The master rep updates, go to view manager, save master rep to 'single_solid' Use this reresentation to create the drawing.

Gary

hi,there

you can not omit the regeneration to get the updated parts with external reference.

the retrieve-merge-ref-parts give you a chance not to open the referenced part manually, not have problems without regeneration if the status is green.

the logic, the system load the parts as they are last saved to the momery, and then if external reference exists, the referencing part compares the referenced parts in the memory and it will give a warning when retrieve-merge-ref-parts set to yes , the referenced parts changed or not found.

very often, parts with external reference do not need to regenerate every time it is opened , which save lots of retrieve time.

Highlighted

Hi GaryBarclay. Thanks for the suggestion and step-by-step instructions.

The method that you gave uses the simplified reps in envelope/shrinkwraps which I think is similar to Brian's method. SInce you gave such clear directions I went through them but when I finally finished, the single_Solid part still required a manual Regeneration when any of the orignal components change. If I did something wrong and you know of a way to do it so that I don't need a manual regen the envelope/shrinkwrap part, then please let me know. If there is a way around this required regen then I am eager to learn it.

Thanks again for your help!

Ever think of using a family table to do this? Model the one part, model the other part, and then use a cut to separate them. For example, one instance is the left side (suppress left cut and resume right cut), one is the right part (suppress right cut and resume left cut), and one is the whole part after brazing (suppress both cuts). That's the only way I know to get the hatching uniform for the entire part. If there is a hole or cut thru the brazed part at assembly, make another instance of the whole part with the hole/cut, and use those references for an assembly cut as or if needed.

Good luck!

'For many years my company has been using a merged part in order to simplify and represent an actual manufactured Sub-Assembly (S/A)' does this not ring alarm bells !

Instead of using the merged part to 'simpify and represent', use an 'envelope' of the actual sub-assembly.

If the 'envelope' is left at 'dependent' it will update when there are changes to the sub-assembly.

Frank suggests using family tables and this has potential, but I would create a family table of the assembly, the generic being everything and the instance exluding the brazing rings.

Proe provides you with many tools for the job, the trick is picking the best one!

One thing for sure though, if you keep doing what you have always done, you will keep getting what you've always got !

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the late response, I just noticed that this thread had postings after my last posting.

The FT is a good option that we have concidered but because it does not show (and behave) as/like a single part we were put off a bit by this. I am interested in what you are describing to get the part to show as a single hatching, but don't understand how to do it. What do you mean by model one part and then model the other part? We currently model the assembly then create a merged part based off of that assembly but missing some components. Which part are you suggesting to model twice? Do you model the same thing twice?

Thanks for any clarifications!

Gary,

Sorry for the late response, along with Frank's replay I also just noticed your reply.

I did look at envelopes a while back but don't remember anything about them now since I was trying to figure them out specifically to solve this problem. I need to refresh myself on these functionality. If you have any sources on the envelope feature that you could point me to, I would greatly appreciate that. I know that I looked at Simplified Reps quite a bit, how are they different?

Thanks!

Pretty sure what you are looking for is the config.pro option below.

Retrieve_data_sharing_ref_parts yes

This will pull up the referenced merged parts up in memory so all you need to do is regenerate the merged model without opening up the main assembly model(s).

I use this a lot.

However I would suggest creating a mapkey to turn the option on and off when you need it. Some companies go crazy with the external refs and this option will grab everything referenced to the active model and open it in session. This may not be an issue for your company but I would avoid setting it as a global setting.

It has been around since R2001 as a hidden config I think all the wildfire builds made it a readable option. It is in creo if you look for it.

I made a sample part of what you were describing and it worked. I changed the parent unmerged part saved it cleared memory and opened the merged one (alone) and it updated as soon as I regened. So no need to constantly open the assembly where the merge was created.

Let me know if that fixes the issue. I can supply my sample parts and asm too if you want.

--Joe R.

Joseph,

Thanks for letting me know about this config option. I will try it at next opportunity.

I just want to verify, when you tested it, were you using Windchill/PDMLink with the merged part checked in?

Thanks! I will repost after I experiment with this.

(As an FYI, it may not be right away because we are in the process of upgrading to Creo and there is a lot going on...)

Thanks again for the suggestion Joseph, but unfortunately it did not work for me in PDMLink. I did the following:

• Found 5 Sub-Assembly parts that are not regenerated due to the merge features.
  • Set the config option Retrieve_data_sharing_ref_parts yes,
  • Restarted Creo,
  • Opened all 5 .prt files in session.

None of them showed green lights. They all show yellow and unregenerated status. So it didn't work for me.

It seems that the reason this didn't work is because it does not address the fact that the objects that I want to update are checked in PDMLink and at a locked/Released state. The above was done with the other config settings regenerate_read_only_objects YES

If I did something wrong, Please let me know what to try differently. Otherwise, does anyone else have any suggestions?