cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

'Rename' of parts and assemblies

BenSmithson(edg
3-Visitor

'Rename' of parts and assemblies

Hello I need to rename a number of parts and assemblies. As you will probably be aware, you need all associative drawings, sub-assemblies etc. in memory. Is there a mass 'rename' tool available? If not, is there a best practise for renaming? Currently: i backup all the data to a new folder open every part/assy/drw within proe and save File> Erase > Not displayed Open the main assy If parts are missing, then you can locate within backed up directory Thanks in advance, BenS
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

If you open your assembly and select file>save a copy, type your new assembly name, then a diolouge box will appear where next to each part there is a drop down box to select whether to reuse a part in the new assembly, or to rename the part in the new assembly. If you select rename, the default is that Pro E adds and underscore '_' to the end of the part name, but you can rename the parts here if you like. I use it if I have an assembly of parts but i want to have one part to have varying features in each assembly. I only have to create the assembly once, then, save a copy (reusing the parts that are common) but renaming the part I want to modify, so when I change this in the new assembly, it does not affect the similar part in the original assembly. I'm not sure if ProE will create new copies of the releted drawings using this technique though. Currently If you save a copy of a part, it will also save a copy of the releted drawing, which is useful. If you do it this way you would have to delete all the original parts if you don't want clutter.

You need 'rename_drawings_with_object' set to 'both' for ProE to save the releted drawing with a 'save as copy' part.

Thanks Joseph I've noticed you are in Oldham. Perhaps email my directly?

Hi, you can do, let me know your e-mail adress. I just tried to do it then. I had an assembly of 4 parts, and only one of these had a releted drawing. When i went 'save a copy' of the assembly into an empty folder i could rename the part and there was a renamed drawing in there as well (along with the other renamed parts). I then had a higher level assembly that this sub assembly is part of. When i tried the same trick to 'save a copy' of the main assembly, when i selected to rename the part with the drawing, it wouldn't let me. It seems that you can only do this on low level assemblies.

if you look at my posting, you'll see an 'email' tab.
Top Tags