cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Repeat region summation.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Repeat region summation.

Is it possible to assign a repeat region summation to a parameter, so that it can later be used in a different repeat region?

for example, in a drawing I have a summation that is called &total_weight:d these appear on each drawing as the total weight for that assembly.

I would like to show all of the "&total_weight:D" in a repeat region in an erection drawing.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

attached are a couple of pictures just to help clarify

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

Repeat region is tied to a model/rep rather than the actual drawing.

Assemblies can pull data from their components using relations. If you can put all the summations together on assembly level then you can also have them reported in repeat region of the assembly drawing.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:James62)

indeed, but I would need a way to sum all of these individual parts in the assembly then I could pass them along to other drawings/models.

I could do this by,, sum_weight=weight:122+weight:124...... and so on. but I'm trying to use the functionality that already exists in the repeat region to drive the summation. then figure out a way to pull that region sum to a final erection drawing

but the repeat region summation tool seems to be tied only to the drawing the " : D " in the total_weight:D is what makes me think its tied only to the drawing.

am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, you sort of do understand it correctly. Repeat region summation is only tied to that specific repeat region, which is again tied to the specific model or it's representation, not to the drawing itself really. The actual table is of course inside of a drawing, cause repeat region needs a table to exist, and a table needs a drawing to exist. It's not possible to make repeat regions on model level as far as I know.

If you just want to leverage the repeat region data you already have, then your best bet is to go with third party scripting tool that can read drawing tables using CSV format, then transform the data the way you want, possibly into a one summary table file, and import it back in using the CSV format.

The table coming back from CSV file is gonna look rather messy, so you might need to make a mapkey or two to make it look good again.

One question. Would you not be able to measure the overall mass of all the assemblies from each assembly? Instead of using all the parts one by one. I don't know if you have assemblies filtered out of your repeat region tables, but that could be another way to go.

If you ask me I'd try to avoid all the hassle with repeat regions if possible. I realize the data is already there, and that's why you want to use them, but the data is also in all of the parts used as well. Repeat regions are just slaves for all of these parts. You could make a third party script to open all the parts and read their weight params, and have it summed up for ya, based on whatever conditions you choose. It might be tricky to get all of the quantities correctly, but it can be done, as the data is already there.

The script can be taught to read through as many assemblies/folders as you like.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

okay i found that parameter that controls the summation. In my case total_weight:D

I can also copy that parameter into my assembly by going to the drawing parameters, copying the parameter, then pasting it into the assembly parameters.

so at least a step forward there.

new problem, like you said the drawing and the assembly are not tied, together so after copying it, it is the correct value but if the table weights update the assembly level parameter does not. it just stays at the previous value.

is there any clever way to get these linked together?

Nice, is this total_weight:D the only parameter that the repeat region produces outside of itself?

I've never had the time to bother with summations in repeat region table, so mine does not leave any trace in a drawing params list.

Did you have to do anything specific with the repeat region so it reported that parameter to the actual drawing parameters?

Now it seems like you can let Pro/E read the summations params, and do all the calculations necessary right inside of Pro/E.

I don't think there is a way to make anything truly associative to a repeat region table, except for bom balloons, but from what you wrote it looks like there could be a way. I'm curious about how did you get the total_weight:D param in more details.

Right now I can only think of a script that could take care of copying the total_weight:D param from the drawing to the assembly. Mapkeys don't handle clipboard values.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

PARAM.JPG

does this help

It surely does make repeat regions look more mysterious.

Could you tell if you RMB on it, is there a Copy option? There should be a Paste option if you switch to Assembly on the Look In selection menu.

Actually, Paste option should only work for Relations window, and there are no Relations for a drawing?

Just trying to find out if there is a chance to make a mapkey.

So, if you copied the value, closed Params window, and opened Relations window while in drawing mode, the Relations window should show assembly relations.

If that works you could possibly record a mapkey to copy that param to assembly without the mapkey itself having to know the model/drawing name.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

to answer your questions.

I'm not sure what RMB means

yes there is a copy option

yes you can paste it into the assembly relations

not sure what you mean by look in

No the drawing only holds parameters

Yes i did copy it into the relations; but from there it only remembers the value that was copied into it.

Allright. There is no way to make it associative. So, if you can record a mapkey for copying of the param.

Thats the only solution I can think of right now.

RMB = Right Mouse Button.

LMB = Left Mouse Button

MMB = Middle Mouse Button

Thanks for pointing that out, David.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

You are welcome, though I responded to SYNDAKIT.

Top Tags