cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Roll up a chain of parts

klarsen
1-Newbie

Roll up a chain of parts

Hi, I have been struggling on a assembly with mechanism on/off for months, and still no solution found, so maybe you could help

It is a tube where a chain has to be rolled up on (diameter gets bigger, like a spiral). Almost like a bike chain with multiple hinges, on a roller blind, my chain is just wider

I draw the spiral (converted to a spline), which is motion of the chain. The chain-parts (red and green) are assembled together at the hinge-point, and this point is also attached to the spiral/spline.

First drag will go okay, with no problem if you do it slowly, but at some point, one or more hinge-points will jump to another radius inside the spiral. I tried to start the assembly at the straight line and inside the spiral, with same result,

I would like to hear your ideas, how to do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

No answers to this problem ?

Do you need more informations?

Sorry for missing this posting originally. I have had this happened. The Creo/WF/Pro|E solver has a tendency to reverse things when large changes are made. It is very prevalent.

I have used an angle limit control between links with some success on chains. I use a datum plane at each pivot point and add it to the machanism contraint with a limit range. This seems to keep it from flipping.

I don't remember exactly which constraints I used to apply this, but I can if you have trouble finding one.

Also use Snapshots to return to a good state. I know how hard it is to untangle chains... even in real life where a recumbent bike chain is around 12 feet

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:klarsen)

Are you using the "Slot" connection type for all those points?

Yes I have used two "slot" connections at two points on chain-part following the same line, and then a planar connection to keep it straight

Top Tags