cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Round tube loaded between 2 v blocks?

dandersonjr
1-Newbie

Round tube loaded between 2 v blocks?

I’m taking a measurement between 2 points on opposite sides (90° apart) of a thin wall tube after it has been loaded between 2 v blocks.
I haveone analysis setupwhere I'm using 4 loads 90° apart over a .1" wide surface region with inertia relief.
I have another analysis setup on an assembly with 2 v blocks applying a load to the tube.

Both analyses have a measure between 2 points (trying to measure deflection after load) on the tube.
The assembly Mechanica analysis results correlates with the hand calculations I have. (Second setup) .05"
The part model Mechanica analysis results are way off. (First setup) .004"

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Don,

You could use planar symmetry in your assembly model. Symmetry constraints eliminate the need for inertia relief (assuming you are using IR to prevent rigid body motion).

You can actually use planar symmetry along two planes (90 degrees to each other). That is, along the vertical (Y-Z) plane and along the horizontal (X-Z) plane. This will simplify the setup of boundary conditions for you - addressing the frustrating process of trying to constrain a floating body (elimination of rigid body motion). You will, of course, create the quarter model by defining a cut feature in the assembly. It will be an assembly model.

Contact is still required to model the load transfer between the v-blocks and tube properly.

Alternatively, you may consider modeling this as a 2-D plane strain analysis type. There is plenty of information in PTC help files for setting the 2-D plane strain models. It is still an assembly contact model, just reduced to a plane. It follows the assumption that the strains in-and-out of the plane are negligible. This may be true for the cylinder longitudinal (Z axis) direction. You could quickly and easily run a sensitivity study on the tube wall thickness, for example. 2-D analyses run so much quicker than 3-D analyses.

Good luck,

Randy Speed
President & CEO
Speed Consulting, LLC
4715 Harvest Hill Road
Dallas, Texas 75244
(214) 213 4440
(214) 853-9221 fax
www.speedconsulting.com

Confidentiality Notice:

This Electronic mail transmission is confidential, may be privileged and should be read or retained only by the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete it from your system.

Top Tags