cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Section view not displaying properly in drawing, using snapshot

mdahlke
4-Participant

Section view not displaying properly in drawing, using snapshot

I have an assembly, I'll call it assembly 1, that uses mechanism so that its components can be rotated to a different position in the next level assembly, I'll call it assembly 2, than what is used on the assembly 1 drawing. I created a snapshot of assembly 1 in the orientation needed for the drawing, placed the view in the drawing and set the drawing view assembly explode state to the snapshot. Everything looks good so far.

The view also requires a local section to see an internal component so I apply the defined section to the view. Still looks good at this point.

Next, I go back to the assembly 1 model, select the Drag Components command, rotate a couple of the parts about their motion axis, left mouse button to accept the position, close the Drag Components window; this is being done simply to represent a random orientation that the assembly could exist in and where the assembly 1 model could potentially be saved in. This is where the problem arises. When going back to the drawing, the orientation of the parts within the local section spline does not match the orientation of the parts as they were defined in the snapshot; instead, the orientation of the parts matches the orientation the assembly was left in when the most recent Drag Components command was executed. What makes this really confusing is that the orientation of the parts in the portion of the view that is outside of the local section spline is in the correct orientation defined in the snapshot.

Is there any way to get the section to show the parts as they are defined in the snapshot? I've tried defining a Combination State as well that included the section view and the exploded view defined by the snapshot; this works perfectly in the model but not in the drawing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

~Mike

P.S. I can't upload the models due to ITAR restrictions.

7 REPLIES 7

I have the same issue mdahlke is decribing above. Cross-section view of particular snapshot in drawing seems to change based on which snapshot the model is in.

Anyone have a solution to this?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:amfrisch)

Could the x-section be based on something that is moving?

This may be it. I'll try chaning the cross section reference to a datum plane rather than a surface on the assembly (that may be moving).

This didn't work for me. May have to make a snapshot for each cross-section.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:mdahlke)

are the items, that seem to be out of place, assembled into the final assembly as parts or sub-assemblies?

mdahlke
4-Participant
(To:SYNDAKIT)

Good modeling practice dictates that Assembly 1 be assembled into Assembly 2 as a sub-assembly.  Reassembling individual parts of Assembly 1 into Assembly 2 would mean the models are no longer parametric. 

Below is a representative model tree.  There are many more sub-assemblies and parts within Assembly 2 but it's not pertinent to this issue.  Parts 31, 32, 33 are the parts I was specifically referring to in my OP but there are other assemblies within the product where we also ran into the same problem.

Assembly 2

Assembly 1

Assembly 3

Part 31

Part 32

Part 33

Assembly 4

Part 41

Part 42

Part 43

Part 11

Part 12

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:mdahlke)

i had a similar problem. I ended up changing the constraints of the parts from distances in the assembly. Instead I created offset planes at the part level so I could use coincidence at the assembly level.
That worked for me but I’m not positive that is the best way.
Top Tags