cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

ShrinkWrap or Something Else

ptc-1423219
1-Newbie

ShrinkWrap or Something Else

I want to create a 3D model of the exterior surface of the complete assembly. I thought SHRINKWRAP was tool that I needed to use, but it doesn’t seem to give me the result I was expecting, and from the description I don’t believe I can make it into this ‘shell’ of the assembly I am wanting in a STEP file.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Randy,

I know there is a way to create a shrinkwrap of exterior surfaces. You have to filter out/in the exterior surfaces when you create the shrinkwrap. You may need to change your accuracy setting as well. I hope that helps. Is it a large assembly?

Randy,

In what way is it not behaving as expected? As John says, the settings sometimes need adjusting to get the result needed; typically when shrinkwrapping assemblies I have the settings set as per the attached picture, which gives a good enough result for me. Pushing up the accuracy obviously increases filesize, but it's often worth it to get a better looking model - it depends what your needs are.

You should be able to get a result using STEP also, just make sure to set the geometry to shells.

Top Tags