cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Shrinkwrap-wise coating without style module on photogrammetry model

tleati
10-Marble

Shrinkwrap-wise coating without style module on photogrammetry model

Hallo,

I have a 3d model of a pair of glasses frame, obtained with photogrammetry with Autodesk 123D (I took photos and then the software converts them into a .obj 3D model) and loaded in Creo as a .obj model. The model is made by (three) Facet Features, and due to the imprecision of the methiod unfortunately they do not form a closed 3D (there is a gash in the lens frame).

Since I have to make a 3D printing of them, I want to make a coating on it just like for example the shrinkwrap.

- This is to, first of all, close up the model in order to make it printable.

- Also, I would like the coating to be curvilineal (something like a "surface-spline" between points), and not squared like the Facet Features.

The problem is that the shrinkwrap function is greyed out and furthermore I do not have the style/restyle module license so I cannot even try to do something with it.

Would it be possible to do something like that with basic license?

I enclose the .obj model of the glasses frame.

thanks

bye bye

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I doubt Creo would close this geometry for you. First, REX module is really necessary to make something with scanned obj facetten geometry in Creo. Second, if I were you I would use different software.

REX is simply not best choice. It is slow, UI is terrible, tools are weak.

The best would be to use Geomagic Design X. The way it handles scanned data, the way it heals it, repairs it, makes new geometry, is far, far, far ahead of Creo.

I can extend this topic further, but I do not want to beat dead horse here.

http://www.geomagic.com/files/5614/3170/2612/DesignX_EN_Web.pdf

Hi Jacek,

thanks for your reply and suggestions. Indeed I need this for a small private job, (I have to rebuild by 3D printing the frame of my glasses), so I cannot buy licences for new software just for this thing...or is it freeware ? (I don't suppose so, seeing the brochure)

I was just wondering why it seems so nearly impossible to do it with creo, meybe it's that since it is a facet feature the shrinkwrap is not available...,

bye bye

Shrinkwarp works on solid geometry. I doubt facetten model is "considered" by Creo this way, even if it contains closed volume.

Frankly speaking, shrinkwarp will not "close" this volume, neither save it to anything.

If I were you I would try to fetch free trail version of some good tools dedicated for reverse engineering, or accomplish the task you are up to, with a software working on mesh based geoemtry: 3D Max, blender and so forth. then save it to obj and print.

Creo would be good choice if you plan to model this frame from scratch. In example mimic this geometry with Freestyle tool, which I can admit have nice capabilities(but I am hardcore surface modeler, so not efficient to me).

You can make this part with curves and surfaces having a parametric model at the end(STEP, IGES, parametric surfaces and so forth). This is most time consuming way.

Hi Jacek,

thanks for your reply. Yes I fact I was supposing shrinkwrap works only on solid models, that's why also I wrote about a "shrinkwrap-wise" method...I also suppose that with style module instead something like that can be done (even if not much easily).

Concerning the Freestyle, I tried it and yes indeed according to me too it's quite a powerful tool, it requires a bit of practice to learn how to move properly the surfaces and possibly set constraints to some datums...

bye bye

Top Tags