cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Significant increase in file size

ptc-746382
1-Newbie

Significant increase in file size

I have a simple family table sheet metal part(with 16 instances) that has two bends in it. Every time I retrieve the model and save it (without modification), the file size increases significantly to the point where it becomes cumbersome to work in the model. Does anybody know what could cause a model to do this and is there any way to remedy the situation? I would rather not have to delete it and start over due to the number of assemblies it is used in and fear of what failures may occur. As a reference, I have a very similar part with a single bend it in that has no issues. File size is about 500kb.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Hmm, sounds like food for PTC support. First of all, why is the part saved if it hasnt been changed? I guess there must be something in there (relations etc.) that changes the part when it is regenerated. Try using the "compare part" tool to identify the changes before and after the part changes.

Were having the same issue our file sizes are consuming our server at an alarming rate. I think its something with the import accuracy settinfg. if we bring a file into creo 2 it half a gig. if we bring it into wf5 its 20 meg.

One way to make files larger is to save an image of the item in the file with the Save_Bitmap option. This is a notable contributor that acts without other changes except retrieve and regen. There are some other save options you might look at as well.

You can also check config.pro and its following options:

SHADE_QUALITY

SAVE_MODEL_DISPLAY

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

yes

changing to

save_model_display wireframe

made a huge difference when I asked about file size.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

Yes... this is a big issue. As the display quality settings are increased, the "graphics display" geometric features are saved in the file when save_model_display is set to shaded. The finer the settings, the more polygons are written into the saved file. A default Wireframe setting avoids all this. This really should be the default.

Top Tags