cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Simulate Assembly of components?

dsondenaa
4-Participant

Simulate Assembly of components?

I have searched but I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for...... If there anyway to create a simulation of building an assembly so I can show someone how to put it together? There is a component that requires multiple steps to get it into place due to clearance with other components.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The "Pro Process for Assemblies" module that comes with Advanced Assembly (AAX) is made for this.  It's pretty easy to learn and lets you develop assy instructions. You do need AAX, though.

They renamed it at some point, so "Process Plan" or "Process Planning" are the key words for finding it in the help or the PTC site now.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I would use Explode state and take screen snapshots of the individual steps.

The "Pro Process for Assemblies" module that comes with Advanced Assembly (AAX) is made for this.  It's pretty easy to learn and lets you develop assy instructions. You do need AAX, though.

They renamed it at some point, so "Process Plan" or "Process Planning" are the key words for finding it in the help or the PTC site now.

--
LinkedIn
dsondenaa
4-Participant
(To:dsondenaa)

David thanks for the suggestion but this is something I'd like to make automated or semi automated if possible.

Doug thank you for the input it appears as though my company doesn't have the Advanced Assembly so I suppose I'm out of luck.

I have specified different constraint sets that I can enable/disable and step through it I will have to live with that.

What Process Planning does, as I recall, is simply automate the creation of simplified reps & explode states for each assy step and the BOM for each step in the drawing.  With a little work, I think you could do much if the same manually.  It also has some tools for adding and removing temporary items like fixtures or tooling.  The BOM of only the new components for that step is the really nice bit that might be tough to replicate.

One thing I'd do is create a new assy and add the design assy that you are building to it.  That way, whatever you do there doesn't change your design assy.  That's how Process Planning works too.

AAX is a suite of tools that I find essential, in particular top down design tools like skeletons & copy geoms. Well worth the money IMO, assuming you have any influence over that in your company.

--
LinkedIn
dsondenaa
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

Hm..... Maybe that won't do what I'm looking for. In simplest terms I have this part out there in space that gets assembled onto an assembly but in order to do that in the real world they'd have to follow these steps: translate, rotate, translate, rotate/translate simultaneously, and then translate down. I'm looking to create a simulation that shows this being done.

something similar to

Top Tags