cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Simultaneous Mechanism Motion

Durbal.Andrew.H
8-Gravel

Simultaneous Mechanism Motion

Hi All,

Have a blade assembly where I want to be able to rotate the 6 blades about their own axis at the same time and by the same amount with one motor.

Is this possible or any ideas welcome.

Example attached.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have connected all the blades with gears.

1st I added the rotation constraint to each blade to manage synchronicity.

2nd, I had to reverse several axis rotations; this requires you to edit definition of the assembly constraint "pin" and select the group rather than individual contraints. Now you can flip the axis rotation.

The master "blade" has the axis reversed from the others. This is so they move in the same direction. I opted to drive all 5 blades from the 1st assembled blade.

I did not apply a motor. You don't really need one. But you can make a "dial" or even a "slider" feature to manage the blade angles. See the little meter tutorial. Of course, a relation at this or another level can drive this. Just connect a relation to the rotation feature in 1st blade. Or drive the 1st blade as a motor with any motor profile.

The attached file is Creo 2.0 full version.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

You can make generic gear connections to the other blades.

I have connected all the blades with gears.

1st I added the rotation constraint to each blade to manage synchronicity.

2nd, I had to reverse several axis rotations; this requires you to edit definition of the assembly constraint "pin" and select the group rather than individual contraints. Now you can flip the axis rotation.

The master "blade" has the axis reversed from the others. This is so they move in the same direction. I opted to drive all 5 blades from the 1st assembled blade.

I did not apply a motor. You don't really need one. But you can make a "dial" or even a "slider" feature to manage the blade angles. See the little meter tutorial. Of course, a relation at this or another level can drive this. Just connect a relation to the rotation feature in 1st blade. Or drive the 1st blade as a motor with any motor profile.

The attached file is Creo 2.0 full version.

My eyes get so confused with all the motion, I can't even hardly tell which direction they're moving!

Video Link : 4335

I know the feeling.. Dragging works to get a good view of it. If you motorize it, you really want to understand how mechanism deals with time. It took me a long time to get a handle on that.

Cheers Antonius, Perfect. Did not realise the user-defined properties of the gear connection being set to 1 to 1 would do this and flipping the directions of the gear connectors to make them line up.

Does take a little while to get your eyes and head round them moving in the same direction.

Nice work on the blade by the way. Is that an engineered profile?

If you "unground" the shaft and add a different ground feature (a fixed shaft for instance), you could easily automate a presentation profile by making the hub a motor and one of the blades a motor.

You might also enjoy this resource:

http://www.sharptechdesign.com/Tutorials/Mechanism_WF2/MDX_WF2_TOC.htm

I also like this motor profile for acceleration/hold/decelleration:

cos_power_motor_curve.JPG

Top Tags