cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Solids show as surfaces

timhelgren
1-Newbie

Solids show as surfaces

Hey guys!

Looking to see if anyone has run into this. Using Creo 2 and I am working on some large assemblies. When I load the assembly that I am working on into my workspace all the solids come in as surfaces. I have been dealing with it for the last couple weeks. Typically it was just the parts/assemblies that were already in our Windchill system or the customer supplied parts/assemblies. Yesterday when i went to save Creo told me to regenerate the top assembly model to save, when I did the parts/assemblies that were showing as surfaces all of a sudden showed up as solids! Woohoo, I thought it was fixed, until i loaded the entire assembly again today and all of the parts I created showed up as surfaces (these parts were showing up properly yesterday). I tried a regen and nothing happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim H.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Tim,

I would check your Config.pro setting for "capped_clip".

Yes - Display the model as solid when shaded and clipped (or sectioned). No - Displays the model as surfaces when shaded and clipped. That is the config per WF4. I never even knew this was an option till I got to my current job where it comes in real handy to see internal features of a solid.

Sincerely,
Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel Intenational
-

Thanks. Tried it. No change. Any other suggestions?

Tim

In Reply to Mark Peterson:

Tim,

I would check your Config.pro setting for "capped_clip".

Yes - Display the model as solid when shaded and clipped (or sectioned). No - Displays the model as surfaces when shaded and clipped. That is the config per WF4. I never even knew this was an option till I got to my current job where it comes in real handy to see internal features of a solid.

Sincerely,
Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel Intenational
-

Has someone made a shrinkwrap feature (surfaces only) in the assembly?

Bill Chapman
Email: -<">mailto:->
Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

[cid:image001.jpg@01CF4F54.456CD040]

Nope. All normal assemblies and parts.

In Reply to Bill Chapman:

Has someone made a shrinkwrap feature (surfaces only) in the assembly?

Bill Chapman
Email: -<
Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

[cid:image001.jpg@01CF4F54.456CD040]
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:timhelgren)

Just to clarify, the parts aren't really surface models, they are just showing that way visually, right?
I usually check to see if a model is a surface model by going to wireframe and seeing if the wireframe shows in the color of surfaces. I actually don't know what color that is in CREO 2 (they change it too much so I set it back to the old purple color from previous versions).

Do other users in your area have the same issues with the same parts/assys? If not, I would have to guess it's your config.pro setting (not sure which one). I would then remove all the config.pro files (or rename them) and restart pro/e and see if it gives you the same display issue. IF it goes away, then it definitely is a setting. From there it gets more difficult since I don't have a clue what that setting could be so I would start systematically adding back in your config.pro files until it re-appeared. If you have multiple configs, add each one separately and see if you can determine which config it is that contains the offending option. Then systematically add the options of that config back in until it reappeared. It can be pretty challenging.

First step would be to remove all configs and see if it goes away. Pretty quick and easy test.

The quickest way to isolate a problematic config.pro setting, assuming that's what it is, is the following:

* If you have multiple config files, add them back in one at a time until the problem reappears
* Once you've isolated the problematic file, make a copy of the first half of the file and load that in. If the problem reappears, the problematic setting is in that half, if not it's in the other.
* Keep halving the offending file until you've found the problematic setting.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I had a not-helper help out by creating shrinkwraps and replacing assembly components without being asked. Messed up a bunch of drawings that had sections that needed to be replaced with sections that did HLR on quilts.

Perhaps someone decided to help out as well.

x

To clarify: there are no shrinkwraps or sufaces actually in the assembly, they are all legitimate components modelled as solids and assembled, and I doubt it is a config issue because it is only 1 assembly that has the problem. Other people in the office have just started seeing this occasionally. I see it everytime I work on this one assembly.

Top Tags