cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Specification Drawing dimensions

cdown
4-Participant

Specification Drawing dimensions

This may have been covered in previous discussions but I can't find what I am looking for.

I have a product which goes through several assembly and machining processes which is great and creo deals with all of this fine. However the final assembled part goes through a coating process which adds material on to the part, this is taken into account in the machined dimensions.

So my issue is this, the machining drawings are correct with the models however I need to produce a spec drawing which will include the coating on the dimensions. I know I can create dimensions and type in what I require but I hate doing this just goes against the grain

I can't be the only person trying to do this type of has anyone else got any experiance or suggestions on how to cover this type of issue?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:cdown)

How much material thickness is being added?

Can you cover it with a note on the final machining drawing like: "Final coating not to increase any dimension more than .xxx."

If the coating is thicker, then you may have an issue, since an assembly feature cannot add material to an assembly. But the note may work for that too.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

What I've done in the past is create a dimension then add xx.xx prior to coating / xx.xx after coating.

One time, I actually offset surfaces by the coating amount and dimensioned to those. On a simple part, that would be pretty easy, on an intricate or complicated part, well, may not be such a good idea.

Hi Colin, select the coated surfaces....use offset_expand feature.

you may also want/need to use a sketched region to represent masking

of coarse this will change your machined part, so some type of copy will be required.

cdown
4-Participant
(To:dguillette-2)

The issue is the part has many grooves and slots in and the whole item is coated (Tufram). I don't want to affect the machined drawing / model as this has been released.

It would be nice to keep the associativity between the top level assembly (Spec model & drawing) and all of the levels below

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Hi Colin, how about creating a family table instance of this part? You could create a parameter (&coating_thickness) & add this by relation to all the effected dimensions in the instance part. Then, make a Spec. drawing of the instance.

Might be worth a try, i do something similar, & it works well for me.

Edit: the parameter would need to be added to the family table. It's value would equal 0 in the generic, & whatever your coating thickness is in the instance.

Regards

John

Top Tags