cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Speeding up family table verification

dcox-2
1-Newbie

Speeding up family table verification

I am writing this whilst waiting for a family table to verify. We use FTs quite a lot but find that assembly ones can take a long time (~20 minutes) to verify, I'm interested to know if anyone has any tips to speed this up.

Typically our assembly FTs will have around 30-50 instances and include maybe 5 or 6 family tabled components or sub-assemblies. The overall assemblies aren't that big, typically around 25 components.

If anyone has any methods for speeding up FT verification, please let me know. Using Creo 2, M120

Thanks.
David

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

David,

Are you linked to Windchill? If so, backup the models locally and then verify the family table during an unlinked session. If you see an improvement you can then reach out to the Windchill community for their advice.

Yes, it does typically run faster outside of WC; we still have some model ranges that we have not brought into WC yet and they are faster to verify.

We have been able to make some improvements, for instance we have a mass parameter that is created by a relation from PRO_MP_MASS. This used to be an Initial relation so we had to verify the table twice for the instances' mass to update, but we moved it to Post-Regen so we now only have to verify once.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ClintWalton)

I am not running Windchill - any thoughts?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

ClintWalton‌ - How do you back up models locally? We do not have Windchill. Files are stored on a server.

1. Open the top-level assembly
  2. Click File > Save As > Save a Backup
  3. Browse to a location on your machine's local drive
  4. Click OK
  5. Close everything in session and erase not displayed
  6. File > Open and browse to the backup data set that you just created
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

ClintWalton‌ - Actually I was looking for how you verify the family table using this method. When you perform a back-up, doesn't the number after the part/assembly go to .1 and then if you were to bring it back into the folders from which it came, it would not be see due to the part/assembly being at .257 or whatever iteration it is up to at that point?

Dale,

My suggestion was only intended for identifying the problem. In addition to your file version concerns, this wouldn't be a reasonable solution.

If verification of the family table is faster when the data is stored on a local drive, you should then investigate your network settings.

David Cox‌ Did moving the relations to Post-Regen improve the speed enough that that this is no longer an issue?

Were you able to get any performance suggestions from the Windchill Community?

The big benefit of moving the rels to post-regen was that we now only need to do the verification once (to allow weight parameters to update); it hasn't made the verification itself any faster.

We do know that working from our hard drives is faster than off Windchill. Our main Windchill server is located in the US - we are in the UK. We have a replica server on site here for the CAD data, and there has been some effort made lately to improve the performance of that server so I'm not sure there's a lot more we can gain there.

I haven't heard any other suggestions from the community, at this point I'm thinking there's not much more we can do to improve it.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:dcox-2)

Try talking to the Product Manager for Creo and ask for profiling tools to record memory and cpu usage for each feature as it is regenerated to see where the time is being spent. Perhaps if he hears it from one more person he will finally catch on.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dschenken)

Is that the reseller or somebody actually at PTC?

Yeah, that's a ridiculously sensible idea. First: identify the problem...

Top Tags