cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Splitting a face

ptc-2751838
1-Newbie

Splitting a face

I would like to know how to split the face of a solid part? I bring parts/assemblies into Ansys for analysis and would use the split area to define mesh constraints.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Jason While I have worked with ANSYS for a while I will have to ask are you using the Pro-E plug-in or importing via step or IGES? The way to split that surface would be to create a surface or two surfaces in Pro-E and have them stop at your split line. Pro/Mechanica has that feature if you want to create a surface "patch" for loading a small area of the surface. Eric

If you have Mechanica, then make a Surface Region in Mechanica, then export from Mechanica (note you can also add loads & constraints in FEM Mode). If you don't, then its a nightmare. You either need to become an expert in using surfaces in Pro/E, or add a 'dummy' feature (eg. a small extrusion where you want to put the load or constraint) PS We have Mechanica, so I have never tried what I say next, but if you don't have Mechanica, but try to go into it, instead of rejecting you completely it may put you into FEM Mode, which is for setting up models for export to Ansys or Nastran. I am not sure what it lets you do in FEM Mode, but maybe it will let you make surface regions - Try it. PPS why PTC haven't been smart enough to port surface regions and volume regions into Pro/E I don't know, as it is really useful and easy, but only found in Mechanica

Hi Jason, I am an ex-PTC long-time user of Pro/E and recently created some documentation on behalf of one of my customers which goes some way to solving your problem. There are a few limitations to the technique but if you get in touch with me directly at martin@evodesignsolutions.com I will send you a copy of the document. Best regards, Martin
Top Tags