cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Start feature and layer naming

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

Start feature and layer naming

Curious as to why users/organizations distinguish part and assembly features, and part and assembly layers when naming them.

For example, the start CS for a part might be called CS_DEF in a company template start model. For the same in an assembly, the CS is called ACS_DEF.

In my eye, a co-ord. system is a co-ord. system, whether it resides in a part or in an assembly. I could never reason what advantage there could be in distinguishing the two.

Similar was done in layers: one distinct layer for collecting start datum features for parts, and another distinct layer for collecting start datum features for assemblies.

For layers at least, I could convince and implement only one layer (rule based) to collect the start datum features of a file under the same name regardless if part or assembly (which in a larger assembly reduces the number of different standard layers significantly). (0_START_DATUMS in each file regardless if prt or asm) 

layertree_snap.gif

I'd love to just not bother with the extra "A" in all the names. What disadvantage would I have to changing the naming convention to be the same for prt and asm?

I know of no reason for have in in the first place.

Aside:

When posting a discussion, what does "Tags" do or used for? (Can you tell I lurk much much more than post?)

2 REPLIES 2
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MarkHeinze)

I have always disliked complicated layering schemes that really did nothing for the end user except discourage them from using layers.

If you keep the scheme simple, more users will use the system, and everyone will be happier.

On occasion, when a user needs a special layer for a specific reason, let them create the layer, don't try to catch every potential situation and build in a massive set of overhead for those 1% issues.  You may want to provide guidelines for the specific problem layer creations, if the organization deems it necessary.

FYI, tags are for forum searching not much else. I personally never use them.

When up to me I create layers to capture function, except for 'set datums,' which are a pain.

So I typically have a 'Construction' layer for geometry that is required to build a model but would not normally be displayed. And "set_datums" to shut those off because 99.99% of the time it isn't necessary to clutter the screen with those. And I capture all the features in the default/template/start part on "Default Geometry" because those also have little value to being displayed all the time.

I tend to name any layers that are only for collecting things (such as curves, datums, axes) with a "Z_" prefix; users and mapkeys will know they are there and the should appear below/after any custom layers.

Top Tags