cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Trying to assemble a table and having problems

rperrett-2
1-Newbie

Trying to assemble a table and having problems

I have made separate parts for

tabletop

tableleg

tablesiderail

tableendrail

When I try to do an assembly, I start with the tabletop. It sets itself to Automatic. If I click on Default it immediately becomes fully constrained and I cannot add any other parts to the assembly.

If I leave it on Automatic, its status says no constraints.

Then if I add a leg and put in 3 constraints to position it at a corner, it allows me to do it.

Then if I try to add another leg it already has constraints on it, but 1 of them will be wrong.

Question 1.

Why does it not work when I choose Default position for the table top? Every tutorial I have seen says to pick default.

Question 2.

How do I get it to let me put the other legs on and position them where they should be?

Question 3.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on doing a simple table in Creo 2?

Thanks,

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Give it a minute to process this. There is no audio.

Video Link : 5805

and YouTube...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rperrett-2)

You started correctly. Assemble the tabletop at default. Complete that operation by clicking the green check mark. Select ASSEMBLE again, choose the next part (tableleg) and assemble it (using various constraints) and then click the green check mark. Repeat for each component.

Google "CREO 2 ASSEMBLY TUTORIALS". there are a lot of video tutorials for Creo.

Thanks for your reply. I did finally manage to assemble it but it took me 2 hours and I do not know if I could do it in front of my students.

All the tutorials that I have found are for things that look to me to be complicated. I want something simple to start my students on.

Creo simply needs a little time to understand what it is asking. A table should go together in minutes.

Personally, I open empty assemblies and the first features I create is a default CSYS and datum plane set. Click; click, done.

I then constrain the first part to these planes. If you add a part without these first features, it pretty much locks it in place.

One of the reasons it seems complicated is that you can leave a lot of bit hanging, meaning you can leave a lot of parts partially constrained and you can then put in the "key" piece that locks it all together. Try assembling a series of triangles into a icosahedron, for instance. By the time you get to the 3rd one, they are locked to each other but could still be floating in space.

There is also an automatic constraint feature that lets the second leg save the child selections. You can overwrite this but it is a setting in config.pro. Maybe yours is set to do this. Not seeing what you are struggling with makes it hard to help diagnose your issues.

I cannot read your academic files. A limitation of the commercial version

I don't understand what you mean by this:

"Personally, I open empty assemblies and the first features I create is a default CSYS and datum plane set. Click; click, done."

do you know of tutorial video that demonstrates this?

Give it a minute to process this. There is no audio.

Video Link : 5805

and YouTube...

Hello Roger,

have you been able to draw some valuable tips from Antonius' video?

If so, please do not forget to mark his answer as Correct, as it will help other users to identify the thread as answered (and hence more likely helpful to them) - and it provides kudos to those that deserve them.

Otherwise feel free to post further questions!

Thanks,

Gunter

Top Tags