cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Un-wanted Renaming of Objects

jgottfredson
1-Newbie

Un-wanted Renaming of Objects

With the interconnect or “BID” the engineers have been experiencing difficulties with connector block shapes re-numbering, or changing their reference designators when importing the interconnect design sheets into a fresh design. The new design will have no design sheets at all to influence the serialization, which is why it is baffling that it is re-numbering certain block shapes. This also occurs when importing a updated interconnect into designs with the same interconnect in it. This creates a substantial issue because we can’t have the program renaming our reference designators, which effectively ruins the idea of being able to make changes at the top level and have them propagate down by importing updated design sheets. Like I stated earlier even when starting a new wiring diagram, importing the interconnect with no other sheets present to influence the interconnect, it will re-number certain block shapes that represent our connectors in the BID. There appears to beno pattern to it.The name format of the shapes in the BID usually requires a parenting to an object or a zone property and a harness property please see below for name formats<parent_name>P# or <zone><harn_name>P# The shapes are gathering their names based off of properties and items they are connected to or parented to.After an import of these design sheets into a new design that has no other design sheets or items, the shapes seem to partially lose their derived properties after import. We run a report based off the “W” number on the block fiber. We build our wiring diagram based off the report results, by placing the connectors it finds associated with the “W” number. If the labels are partially holding onto the data after import, the report results are non-existent. Therefore to get the label information back we have used from the Diagramming Tab, the “labels and derived parameters” command, which retrieves the information, howeverit seems to change the numbering or serialization of certain items. There is no pattern that I can find to it. I have been unable to discern from the end user any particular command, or way of naming these items that would cause this. You can understand how renaming of our items is of great concern to us. I am at a loss to fix this issue any insight you may have would be appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags