cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Using Publish and Copy Geometry

RP
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Using Publish and Copy Geometry

Hi Folks,

have an interesting issue on my hand.

1. I have a Pro-E assembly which has 2 parts in it (part1 and part2).
2. Part 2 has a copy geometry, which is published from features of part 1.
3. Now, i have another part from outside part 3, i want to automatically update the changes in part 3 to part 1.

Is it possible in Pro-E if yes, please provide me with
details on how to achieve this?

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks in advance

Raghu

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi Raghu,

Yes you can use Publish Geom from one part to a Copy Ceom in another part in the same assembly but this is not good practice as it gets hard to find the original driving geometry and also your assembly has problems if the driving part gets suppressed. You also can run into CRC errors if you reorder parts or add a Publish geom to the second part and a Copy geom to the first part.

A better approach is to make the related geometry in a Skeleton Part. Even at this stage you can add a Skeleton Part to your assembly and redo the driving geometry (surfaces and datum features only) then publish geom these and use them in both parts. I would also make the geometry for the thrid part in that Skeleton. Note that when you add a Skeleton Part to an assembly it always gets added at the top of the assembly tree in the default location and before any assembly features such as default datums. Using this (Top Down Design method) means changes to the Skeleton part are propogated robustly through the assembly.

If your third part has references you want to reuse many times you could consider making a UDF.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Brent Drysdale.

Top Tags