cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Using Windchill; how to start a part without having the assembly have locked parameters?

bpoon
1-Newbie

Using Windchill; how to start a part without having the assembly have locked parameters?

Hi All--

I have a part I want to add to an assembly (which I created from within the assembly using the "Create Component" feature. However, checking-in the assembly fails because the part does not have certain descriptive parameters filled out. Those descriptive parameters show as "locked" when I open the part, right-click in the model tree, and select "Edit Parameters". If I can't upload this document to Windchill, how am I supposed to fill out those parameters?

Do I *have* to start every document from Windchill itself? How would I do that for a part that I'm creating from within an assembly?

FYI, I am new to Creo Parametric as well as Creo Windchill. Please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks all

.bp

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:bpoon)

Go to tools tab. Select Parameters.

Capture.JPG

This will get you to the part parameters.  Trying to get there from the tree is probably getting you to a feature parameters.

You can also use Edit / Attributes from WindChill.

Capture.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.
bpoon
1-Newbie
(To:kdirth)

Even clicking via that path, the parts are still Locked with a padlock icon in the "Access" column. The "Source" column says Windchill for all except the first entry, which says PDM.

bpoon
1-Newbie
(To:kdirth)

And to the second part of your answer, the part isn't yet in Windchill. Is there a way I can upload the parts?

Thanks for helping me out.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

The parts should only need to be in a WindChill work space for you to edit the attributes.  The attributes causing the issue need to be fixed before you will be allowed to upload to the windchill server.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

If you are trying to check these in they should be in a WindChill workspace.  The parts I show in the second screenshot are new and have not been uploaded to the server yet.  I can edit the parameters through the Edit Attributes function.

James62
10-Marble

Hi,

What do those params look like? Will Creo not let you just unlock them and get rid of them?

bpoon
1-Newbie
(To:James62)

I can't modify them in any way. They're "'locked' by windchill" -- but I can't edit them or anything before I try to check it in. The part in question is located in my Windchill workspace.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

There are certain parameters that are locked by the system, most begin with 'PTC'. These parameters are being pulled from the system and you cannot change them.

Would these be populated when I create a new part with a specific template? Could it be that I inadvertently chose a template that didn't fill those parameters? Do I have to start from scratch or can I populate these fields with a different template's parameters?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Windchill doesn't normally prevent check-in just because parameters aren't filled in.  Parameters that are locked are usually locked for a reason to keep people from changing them.  I would suggest you talk to one of your Windchill administrators.  They can probably show you in 30 seconds what could take pages to explain on here...

bpoon
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I'll try to check with them. Thanks

Top Tags