cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

WF3.0

ptc-2839750
1-Newbie

WF3.0

How do I open an existing drawing that has multiple models in multiple files? Is it possible to have models in one file but used in multiple assemblies, and if so how?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Paul I will try to answer your question, but it is rather vague on what you are looking for. Pro-E works like this, you can have one part model, a screw for example, used in many assemblies. The only catch here is that the screw must be located in a common directory for all of your models, or a search path must be added to your config.pro file. To add the path, go to tools/options/search_path browse to a file directory and select apply. You can add several more search path lines if you need. If you have more than a hand full of directories to add, then a search_path file will need to be created. This would be a text file with all of the directories needed for your setup. Hopefully you are not asking to bundle up all of the files into one file, that would be an export or shrink wrap file and you will lose all of the parametrics of the assembly. I hope this answers your question. Regards Eric

Eric, Thank you very much, you have answered my question, sorry for being so vague.

Eric, I have created a drawing template with my companies title block which includes parameters in a table for varying information. Example - Drawing Number, Title, and so on. My issue is, that when I start a new drawing and specify a template, when the drawing opens a menu manager prompts me to ADD PARAMETER such as Integer, Real Number, String or Yes/No. I want it to prompt me on the command line for the parameters I've specified. What do I need to do to eliminate the Menu Manager step? Is there a setting inside my Config.pro file that I need to modify, and if so, do you know what it is?

Paul You are supposed to get just the command line input when you create a new drawing unless the parameters are pulled from the model which in turn would skip the command line inputs as the values are already there. First off note of clarification. Sometimes templates are referred to as a standard drawing border, but in Pro-E world it is a drawing format with views and other stuff predefined. I think what you really need is just a format, which is probably what you created. Next when making a new drawing make sure to select format, not template on the menu. I think that will resolve this issue for you. As far as Pro-E asking you to make a new parameter while creating a drawing, I have not run into that situation. Eric

Eric, Sorry, I meant format. When creating a new drawing I check the "empty with format" option and then browse for my format when it's not the default. When we use our custom Config.pro file the drawing tries opening and I get the Menu Manager instead of the prompts on the command line. When we use the default Pro-E Config.pro file it works fine. Which is why I believe we must change a setting within our custom Config.pro file, but I have no idea what it could be. Any ideas? Thanks, Paul

Paul Somewhere in either the part model or the drawing model Pro-E thinks that you are creating a new parameter, which would bring up the menu and ask for which type. Are you using a mapkey to create a new drawing? My reason for asking is that something is triggering a create new parameter command. Try this, make a copy of your format and delete all of the parameters in the format. Now try a new drawing, but select this copied format and see if you have the issue. If it still hanging around try making a fresh format and try again; you might even try a new start model as well. Sometimes this debugging is like fixing a car, sometimes you cannot find the exact problem until you remove all the other suspects. Good Luck Eric
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:eric.mills)

I have seen where a new drawing with a repeat region titleblock will prompt for parameters like that. The pattern I've seen is that it happens when you are calling a part that does not have the parameters defined at the part level. Example: Our template does not have the titleblock built in. We insert it as a repeat region table later, using a mapkey. If the part model in the drawing does not have all the parameters that the repeat region is looking for, I will get prompts for them. Also, at the part level, check to make sure the parameters are completely set. It sounds like all the information was not input when the parameters were created. ie, it is asking for Integer or String etc? This makes me wonder if you have an incomplete parameter at the part level. Hope all this gibberish was helpful... I'm still working on my first cup of the day.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
Top Tags