Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF5 and assembly cuts and bom tables

Sapphire II

I just encountered a problem where I have 2 parts in an assembly and one of them is intersected by an assembly cut. On the assembly drawing now, that part shows up as 2 separate lines on the BOM (repeat region set with no duplicates and worked fine until the assembly cut was added).

Any ideas on why it has done this? I forgot to search the knowledge base and the user group archives...I'll go do that right now.

Thanks,

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)
19 REPLIES 19

I have 4 pieces of angle iron, exactly the same but at the assy level I have to drill holes that must line up across 2 of the pieces. When I do this assembly cut, it messes up my repeat region BOM.

It's splits item 8 in two. 2 on item 8, 2 on item 9. If I delete the assembly cut, the table returns to normal.

Has anyone else seen this? I just don't remember it happening before.

[cid:image007.jpg@01CDCE34.569885F0]

[cid:image008.jpg@01CDCE34.569885F0]

[cid:image009.jpg@01CDCE34.569885F0]

Steve Williams

I think you need to keep the feature from showing up at the part level.

I don't do it much, but I believe you need to set the visibility to
assembly or top level vs. part level when you create the cut feature in
assembly.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

No, these are just ordinary assembly cuts only visible at the top level assy. The cuts don't show at the part level.

Steve Williams

Have you made sure that the intersect option is set to manual and only the required parts are intersected?

I've tried automatic, manual, unselecting all, selecting all the of intersected and non-intersected parts. Lots of variations. I thought maybe selecting all of the same parts for intersection even though most aren't intersected.

Maybe someone outside of my organization can try it so I will know whether it's just us or if it is a pro/e thing. I tried it on a completely separate model with a different set of parts in a completely new drawing with a newly inserted BOM table and got the same result. It's pretty simple test. Make an assembly, assemble the part in 2 different locations. Make an assy cut thru one of the 2. Make a drawing, add a repeat region BOM table and see what it does for you. I think we have ours set to either no duplicates or no duplicates/level.

Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

Steve Williams

Hi Steve,
It works as expected for me.... We have WF5 M060.
I tried with the second tweezer above and below the assembly level cut but
it made no difference.

Regards,
--
Mark von Huben
Principal Engineer

Cochlear Ltd
1 University Ave
Macquarie University NSW 2109

RE: WF5 and assembly cuts and bom tables

This issue goes back awhile ago. We are using WF3 and the problem with assembly cuts is quite the same.

Components are split in several rows in BOM, because mass properties are calculated at assembly level. Even though the parts are on the part level the same, mass gets calculated considering assembly cut and then updated in the part i.e. repeat region.

Workaround to this is to regenerate assembly to calculate correct masses for each part, then open part relation dialog box and comment the line where mass is calculated, switch to the assembly again, calculate masses and regenerate. This way assembly mass calculation does not influence the mass of each component and repeat region shows appropriate pieces of parts which are subject to assembly cut.

You only need to bear in mind, that mass calculation in the part is commented out and you need to repeat above procedure when you redefine features which affect mass of the component.

Thanks for the attempt Mark.

Steve Williams

Thank you very much. That is what the problem was. Once we took out the weight parameter from the table, the duplicate numbers went away.
I had never seen this before because this is the first place I had added a weight to the BOM table.

Steve Williams
Announcements