cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

What is .pvt and .ol file format?

ptc-4931783
1-Newbie

What is .pvt and .ol file format?

I am working on big machine level assembly which consist of several sub-assemblies. When I am opening the top level assembly in "Light Graphic Rep" from Open menu, all sub assemblies will be loaded in "Light graphic Rep". When I go to File-->Manege Session-->Object list to see what is loaded and how, I shows that (for example) subassembly.asm is loaded as (Light Graphics Rep Origin: subassembly_asm.pvt). What is this .pvt file? sometime it creates .ol file. Some time it loads few parts in "Graphics or MAster Rep". don't understand whether "Light Graphics Rep" really works? how these .pvt and .ol files are created and what is the use?

Can this Light Grahic Rep be used to create drawings?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Light weight models are created to make the graphic computations more manageable. It allows very complex assemblies to be loaded without all the overhead of parametric data. They essentially become bound surface representations (bound meaning they can be represented as filled solids)

You should be able to use them in drawings but they may not have the intelligence to create detailed annotation features from them. Since they are bound surface models, they can still do hidden line removals and such.

I don't know the specific extensions you refer to but they simply are part of the simplified data sets generated by Creo.

We are trying to get Light Graphics work by using the Cad-worker via Windchill 10.0. We have not succeeded yet and did not get the proper support from PTC. We still have bounding boxes in our assemblies. We see also the same behaviour as you describe with ol, pvt files, some files in graphics rep instead of light graphics rep, etc.

Please keep us informed !

As far as I know, the light graphics rep cannot be used on drawings (unless you add a view in shaded). We also want to use them in drawings in view state no-hidden or hidden line. Unfortunately this is not supported yet

See the image below to set up the config.pro.

you must also have the file LWGthumb.rcp for publish the thumbnails into your Creo Data Exchange session. see the image below. This file is already set for usage.

The rcp file is installed here :

for example X for your disk:\\install_path\Common Files\M070\apps\prodview\recipe

LWG.JPG

My recommendation is the following with respect to large assemblies:

Use LGR if

1) Creo Parametric Only without Windchill

2) Creo and Windchill where collaboration with multiple users on same assembly is NOT required.

Companies collaborating with many users in Windchill/Creo environment where changes within a large structure are constant should investigate using the WC publisher with Creo View. Do a search in google for "bidirectional interface between Creo View and Creo Parametric" for more info. The options modeler or AnyBOM is another route.

The key item to be aware of is that the image associated with the high level assembly for LGR functionality has to be recreated every time a change is made to the lower levels.

Dear Pascal,

Thanks for this information. But can you also add which settings have to be done for using LWG in combination with Windchill ? As well the Creo Parametric settings as the Windchill settings, please. We don't get rid of the bounding boxes, even if we save our legacy models in Creo 2.0. Also sub-assemblies appear as bounding boxes.

Is it really needed to save all legacy data (for instance saved in Wildfire 4) in Creo Parametric 2.0 first, before we can take advantage of the LWG ?

Thanks in advance

Top Tags