cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Why do sketches show up in no hidden view

bhale
1-Newbie

Why do sketches show up in no hidden view

Surely someone has asked this question, I just cannot find it.

Environment: Creo 3.0, part or assembly, No Hidden display style

I have a part that I have written text on using a sketch and that sketch can be seen no matter the orientation of the part in any of the hidden line modes. See Capture.png, text should not be visible from that angle.

I know I can just hide the sketch but this becomes problematic in an assembly with many items with many sketches. Besides I really dont want to hide the sketch because it represents marking on the item that's really there.

I have found that if I turn Fast HRL off then the sketches hide properly but then all the cosmetic threads show up. See Capture2.png, thread should not be visible from that angle.

I might be able to get around this if I were to make a drawing of the assembly, but this to becomes problematic when I need many images in different orientations.

All I want is a real No Hidden line view for illustrations.

Does anyone have a workaround or can you direct me to where this question has already been answered?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
18 REPLIES 18
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:bhale)

Brian,

just info for you ... I was not able to reproduce the problem in Creo Parametric 3.0 M030 (simple brick model with one sketch and one cosmetic thread.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Well that's odd. I just confirmed it does it for me on both 2.0 and 3.0. And other users here have had the same problem. There workaround is to set up layers and turn everything on and off accordingly.

But that's interesting that it doesn't do it for you, you think it could be a graphics issue?

Martin,

Would you be willing to share your config settings? Maybe we have some kind of odd combination of settings causing the issue.

Thanks

Brian

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Brian,

I uploaded my test model + drawing. It was created in Creo Parametric 2.0 M070 using default settings (this means without any config.pro). You can open my drawing and test it. Also you can use the same "procedure" as me.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I started up Creo with out my normal config.pro and opened the part and it seems to do the same thing.

Are you looking at the drawing or the part? My difficulty is that I don't want to have to make a drawing because reorienting in a a drawing is a pain.

If you open the part and set the Display State to No hidden you should see either the cosmetic thread or the sketch through the back of the part. Then when you turn off or on the Fast Hidden lines removal you should see the opposite.

Can you (or anyone else) confirm that this doesn't (or does) happen to you when viewing the part?Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I can confirm that on Creo 2 M120, I get the same results as you. I either see the cosmetic thd or the sketch.

bhale
1-Newbie
(To:StephenW)

Great thanks Stephen!

That tells me it is less likely to be a video card or config option stack up issue.

Now if anyone could just tell us how to fix it!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I don't know if there is a "fix". My work-around would be to add the cosmetic threads to a layer and turn that layer off, simply because I suspect you may want to see your sketch occasionally.

Depending on your setup, you may already have a layering scheme that will do that for you.

It's just a work-around, but I agree, a fix would be in order.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

To the best of my knowledge, it has been this way ever since Wildfire 2, and maybe before. Cosmetic sketches have always shown through the solid. It's like they're perpetually in wireframe mode.

Like Steve said, the only workaround was to add them to a layer and then hide them.

bhale
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I had thought that this "feature" had been around awhile, that's why I started the post with "Surely someone has asked this question"

And adding layers is how others at my company handle it but I was hoping in this new age of Creo X.0 there would away around that.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Well, I'm using creo 2.0 m150 and cosmetic sketches do get hidden when "no hidden" display style is used.

cosmetic threads do show thru though, and have to be managed using layers.

using some kind of ATI graphics card and these are my settings:

model_display_options.png

entity_display_options.png

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Brian,

I apologize to you. I overlooked the fact that you want to take pictures in Assembly/Part mode (not in Drawing mode).

I tested my b1.prt in Part mode in Creo Parametric 2.0 M070+M150 and Creo Parametric 3.0 M030 on PC (graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 570) and notebook (graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M). The results were identical - see pictures.

wireframe.pnghidden_line.pngno_hidden.png

I used graphics opengl and also graphics win32_gdi config.pro option during testing.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
kmitchell
3-Visitor

If you are taking screen shots for illustration purposes, is there any reason you can't "hide" the feature for the moment and "unhide" it when you are ready? This is quickly accessed on screen and in the model tree and does not require additional layer configuration.

HTH,

Krystal

Krystal,

Yes, that is actually what I have been doing. The problem is finding and hiding all the features isn't all that quick or easy for us, for a simple example like the above no problem, however when I have a large assembly (which I normally do) where every bolt hole is a separate cosmetic thread it gets to be a pain. Not to mention the weird stuff imported models can do. Then after I get my image I have to be sure not to save it and close the assembly or go through and unhide everything.

Brian

kmitchell
3-Visitor

Brian,

I figured that was the case. Wish I could offer a better option. I know how frustrating it is to work around these types of issues. Hope you come across a resolution or better option/workaround.

bhale
1-Newbie

Since everyone else seems to get the same results, it's not a problem with my/our systems. This is just the functionality of the software.

I guess I am just the only one who has assemblies with lots of sketches and cosmetic threads and doesn't want to make drawings or fight layers.

I guess I am wrong to expect the button to do what it says it does!

(Sorry I couldn't resist a little jab at PTC)

psobejko
12-Amethyst

I disagree. For me, at least as far as cosmetic sketches, these do get hidden when "No Hidden" display style is used:

cube_wireframe.png

cube_no_hidden_lines.png

my display settings are listed in an earlier message in this thread...

speaking of threads, the cosmetics threads still show up; but they are easily collected on a layer with the following rule:

thread_layer_rule.png

bhale
1-Newbie
(To:psobejko)

Paul,

Agreed, cosmetic sketches do get hidden when in hidden line mode if fast hidden lines removal is off. The issue was that if you turned on fast hidden lines removal you saw the sketches and if you turn it off you saw the cosmetic threads, either way there was something there that shouldn't have been.

With that said this rules thing is something I have never seen before. (probably because I don't like working with layers)

This looks promising though, this could/would make working with layers much easier for me.

Thank you for introducing me to it!

Top Tags