cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Wrap Solid Material around complicated surface?

Pieface
6-Contributor

Wrap Solid Material around complicated surface?

I have a solid piece of mastic which is heated and formed around a sheet metal door.  I can convert it to sheetmetal and make bends so it kind of forms around the contour of the door.  I think two Spinal Bends will form it around the door surface?  Is there a transaction (WARP?, WRAP?) that will completely form the solid around the door surface?  Grey is the solid and blue is the copy geom surface.  This is a part, not an assembly.  Thank you

Wrap Material.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
wrsamuels
14-Alexandrite
(To:Pieface)

Wouldn't copying the surfaces and using them as a punch in sheet-metal do just that?

Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:wrsamuels)

Yes it would but it would leave the outer edges where they are and not account for shrinkage.  Spinal bend allows for same length so I thought it was the best option.  I guess I could exclude the rectangular cutout during copy geom and just have Creo fill it in.  I might try the punch option.  Thanks

wrsamuels
14-Alexandrite

Maybe surface deformation, and flatten quilt

surface deformation.JPG

Pieface
6-Contributor

I tried the spinal bend and for an unknown reason Creo will not bend the geometry.  The checkmark to create the geom is greyed out.  I have tried a couple different ways and started with the spine beginning where the curvature would begin.  I changed it as shown to the length of the solid geom.  Still cannot get Creo to change the checkmark to Green.

Spinal Bend not working.JPG

dschenken
21-Topaz I

I believe there is no function/method that will readily do what you want. The alternative is to create a family table that has the flat version as one instance, then create and open another instance that suppresses all of that and then create all the geometry of the installed version based on the reference geometry.

For forming features that are going to be repeated one can create a UDF/punch that represents the formed condition, but I think that is at least as much work and will create a separate item to manage.

As far as I know there's no 'vacuum form' operation within Creo Parametric, though it would be handy.

There is no way to account for stretch of the material as it is a plastic deformation. There is some specialized software for metals that account for such things, but it is in the area of FEA, not a geometric modeler like Creo Parametric.

Top Tags