cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

accelerated pattern

Dom_CHENTRE
12-Amethyst

accelerated pattern

Hi,

I have to manage sheet metal parts with big patterns (air flow cuts).

Regenerate them is very long.

Patterns are already set to identical".

I've seen in the pass a method to accelerate pattern regenerations.

It was something like making surface quilt and cut by solidify.

I've made unsuccessful trails (it's longer).

Does someone knows how to do ?

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Dom_CHENTRE)

I think you are referring to the "Turbo Pattern" as shown in this video.  Never tried it in sheet metal.  Let us know if it works.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiE3abQxPXNAhUF5CYKHQIiB2…

There is always more to learn in Creo.
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:kdirth)

Select a surface of the feature.

turbo1.JPG

Press and hold Shift, select bounding surface and let go of shift.  You now have all  surfaces connected to the initial surface upto the bounding surface.

turbo2.JPG

Press and hold Shift, select opposite bounding surface and let go.  You now have all of the surfaces of the feature.  This will update if you change the feature adding or removing surfaces except for deleting the original surface.

Press Ctrl+C the Ctrl+V to create a copy of the surface.

turbo3.JPG

Pattern the surface.  I did 9X9 (81 holes)

turbo4.JPG

Select the first surface and Solidify (cut).  I had to add a 0 degree flat to give it something to cut.  Sometimes it works without adding material, sometimes it doesn't.

Pattern the Solidify.

turbo5.JPG

This will regenerate much faster.

Dom_CHENTRE
12-Amethyst
(To:kdirth)

Thank you very much,

First method will be helpful for a lot of things.

In my sheet metal part, second method help me a little bit.

I can copy the surface made by the cut but can't do solidify with this one.

Even after unbend bend...

So, I've made a surface quilt instead of cut.

Then I can repeat it.  > Solidify first surface > repeat solidify.

However, regeneration process is improved about 7%.

(I've expected a little bit more).

Thanks,

Is it required to have the pattern visible at all times? I've had great luck with using patterned datum curves to visually represent cuts and only resume the cuts when required.

Good idea but sheet metal part had to be laser cut.

And my client want to see cuts in assemblies.

Furthermore, it's for family table parts, so cuts are regenerated often.

#1 Laser cut can follow the datum curves just fine, same as any other 2D work.

#2 Can't fix if client is not smart about what they need to see/when they need to see it.

#3 Would not require costly regen if not for #2

Speed-up should be 10 to 100 times faster for curves than cuts; just resume the cuts when required. Can use same sketch for each so they are otherwise the same.

You could also try exporting the part as a step file, then reimporting as a feature; suppress the source geometry. There will be zero regen time, though it won't be parametric any more. Would be done separately for each instance.

I completely agree with your suggestion.

However, my client wants to work with "real parts" and my aim is to accelerate them as possible.

Wildfire 2 - Intralink...

Thanks for advice

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Dom_CHENTRE)

I also had trouble with the first solidify, that is why I added a small 0 degree flat to the cut before solidifying.

Kevin has a lot of great information.  It is all about what has to happened in the regeneration.

We've done a "Borg cube" discussion where we realized how much work intersecting solids create.

A non-conventional means may be to apply a "thickness" at the end of the quilt development.

Rounds have a similar issue.  A fully rounded, highly ribbed plastic part can take hours to regenerate on just this one feature.

It belongs at the end and suppressed for most of the revision time.  Simplified reps might help here too.

Top Tags