cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

axis distortion...

PAULKORENKIEWIC
1-Newbie

axis distortion...

Guru's

I have sort of a "U" shaped assembly with two concentric axes coming off the top of the "U" perpendicularly and a third axis coming off the bottom, also perpendicularly passing thru the two concentric axes. The simulation is setup as a "simply supported shaft" on the concentric axes per the PTC suggested technique for that. We call the intersection of the three axes the "critical point" and are trying to simulate the displacement of this point under load. Essentially what I am trying to do is place a point outside of the solid part and have it be included in the distortion caused by my loads and constraints. Any suggestions???

thanks in advance...

Paul Korenkiewicz

FEV Engine Technology

www.fev-et.com

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Paul,

How are you defining the position of the critical point in a deformed
part? Presumably the three axes will not necessarily intersect once
loaded (and may not even be straight, hence may no longer be axes!).

In general I think a weighted link, or links, might provide a solution,
but first we should understand exactly what you're trying to measure.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thanks to all who chimed in... Looks like weighted links are the correct answer. A bit of play with getting them on an appropriate surface as the simply supported shaft methodology essentially ties the bearing surfaces of the concentric axes to central points on the axes with rigid links, but I'm confident I have a fairly representative displacement. I'm also only doing an "A" to "B" comparison so this should work out just fine.

Thanks...

Paul Korenkiewicz
FEV, Inc.
4554 Glenmeade
Auburn Hills, MI., 48326

Guru's

I have sort of a "U" shaped assembly with two concentric axes coming off the top of the "U" perpendicularly and a third axis coming off the bottom, also perpendicularly passing thru the two concentric axes. The simulation is setup as a "simply supported shaft" on the concentric axes per the PTC suggested technique for that. We call the intersection of the three axes the "critical point" and are trying to simulate the displacement of this point under load. Essentially what I am trying to do is place a point outside of the solid part and have it be included in the distortion caused by my loads and constraints. Any suggestions???

thanks in advance...
Top Tags