cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

creo 2: drawing layers missing items compared to model layers

ptc-5365777
1-Newbie

creo 2: drawing layers missing items compared to model layers

ok, so i have assembly "A" which goes into assemble "B", and i have a drawing for assembly "B".

my layers are correct in assembly "A" and assembly "B", but when i go to the drawing for assembly "B" i DO NOT have the same number of items in my layers.

assembly "A" has a layer called "surface" in it that comes from 11 parts that each have that surface layer in it.

in assembly "B" my surface layer shows up but this time it has 14 parts in it which is as expected because 11 of them are from assembly "A" and the other 3 from some other part or assembly beneath assembly "B".

NOW, when i go to the drawing for assembly "B", there are only 5 parts in the drawing layers.

where are the rest of my parts, and why are they not in my drawing layer named "surface" if they are there in my model layer named "surface" in my parts and assemblies????

these surfaces that i added to my "surface" layer are now showing up all over my drawings and im trying to hide them via layers which i have done a million times in the past. i have also never seen this type issue..

please help, this is wearing me out....

Carlos

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

i have also noticed something very strange that i have never seen in all my years on pro-e, when i select "layers" and hit hide, not all my layers hide, i can go into the layer items themselves and then hide them and sometimes they stay hidden and other times they dont, or they do hide and later turn back on....

i dont know if this issue is associated with my above issue, but both are flat out wearing me out....

thanks guys

Carlos

I hate layers in Creo! But remember to save them at all levels. That layer rule thing is still way beyond what I want to happened.

I now start -all- my parts with "empty" start parts. There is nothing I cannot set up quickly that I rely on. The history these files carry is simply unnecessary.

I am a child of the drafting board era; and a "clean slate" has a special meaning to me.

i have tried the saving thing, and nothing man

The only times I've had layers go bad is when Pro/E was searching for the sudden exit button and hadn't found it yet.

For debugging layer lists, check each part at the level it is assembled for info to tell what layers it is associated with. Same with the surface features.

I think the tendency is to show items if they are ever shown on any layer, no matter how many layers are hidden.

I'd also check to see if the drawing layer list is showing all sub-component layers or not.

Could it be that those other 9 surfaces are not visible in that view?

the reason im messing with it is because they are visible in the view and i dont want them to show up at all.

The annoying thing about Creo is that the "master" feature... or 1st feature cannot be hidden. I know that if you make a solid, you cannot hide it in any way other than to "cut it" with an extrude or something. Could that be what is happening? Can you hide these features in your model?

I've had some glitchy layer behavoir, especially when in assembly context. As complicated as it is, and it looks worse than it really is, I LOVE rules-based layers. We have a bunch of parts and assemblies made bu outside vendors, and it wrecks havoc in our dwgs with all thes surface, curve, cosmetic, copy geom etc. layers.

Having rules-based layers means you can do some really cool stuff (automatically put things like datums used in x-sections or GTOL datums) on certain layers. Better, you can create a temp assy with these rules, pull in a lower level assembly, delete all the layers from all the parts in that assy, and go back to the created top temp assy and "Extend Rules" which forces all the parts underneath to have the same layer structure and automatically put all features on the proper layers. It's a little tricky setting up the rules, and sometimes a little glitchy, but it works well! I'll never go back to the "Config" type layers.

Here's an excellent PowerPoint presentation on them made by a guy at Lockheed.

Top Tags