cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

creo 3.0 Intelligent Fastener Extension, can we add new parameters to the file?

garytinker
5-Regular Member

creo 3.0 Intelligent Fastener Extension, can we add new parameters to the file?

ok loving the new lite Intelligent Fastener Extension, but

what i want to know is how do i add new parameters to the entire family?

i know i can add them at the part level every time i use them

but i want them to be default parameters and not something i have to muck on with every time.

for example

ASSY1=BUW_NAME

ASSY2 = BUW_SIZE

MATERIAL = PTC_MATERIAL_NAME

MAT_DESC1 = BUW_NAME

MAT_DESC2 = BUW_SIZE

these are parameters that i use in all of my start parts so that they work with my default bom

also having the part name in lowercase is a bit crap as well but that's minor

so where is the part or spreadsheet or what ever it is

ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:garytinker)

Short answer, NO. Long answer below.

All the models used are stored in the following location:

<loadpoint>Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files\afx\parts

You can drill down deeper to see specific fasteners. For example, Holokrome screws are here:

<loadpoint>Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files\afx\parts\screws_and_pins\screws\HoloKrome

From a cursory look, it would seem that a part without a family table is loaded, then the family table itself is created from the .dat file, then finally the specific family table instance is saved as a stand alone part for use in your assembly. This whole technique is NOT going to play well with a PDM system.

I opened one of the parts and added my own parameters. Unfortunately, as soon as you attempt to place a new fastener with the modified part you get a pop up saying you can't use it.

6.PNG

There seems to be some pretty touchy file checking that is making sure you haven't changed anything.

One more weird fact, I found it fascinating that the part I modified (hk-shcs-unrc.prt) was last saved in 2004 using Pro/e version 2001. Pretty old parts.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:garytinker)

Short answer, NO. Long answer below.

All the models used are stored in the following location:

<loadpoint>Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files\afx\parts

You can drill down deeper to see specific fasteners. For example, Holokrome screws are here:

<loadpoint>Creo 3.0\F000\Common Files\afx\parts\screws_and_pins\screws\HoloKrome

From a cursory look, it would seem that a part without a family table is loaded, then the family table itself is created from the .dat file, then finally the specific family table instance is saved as a stand alone part for use in your assembly. This whole technique is NOT going to play well with a PDM system.

I opened one of the parts and added my own parameters. Unfortunately, as soon as you attempt to place a new fastener with the modified part you get a pop up saying you can't use it.

6.PNG

There seems to be some pretty touchy file checking that is making sure you haven't changed anything.

One more weird fact, I found it fascinating that the part I modified (hk-shcs-unrc.prt) was last saved in 2004 using Pro/e version 2001. Pretty old parts.

garytinker
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

drat.

so i might be able to change them if i have the full version of ifx?...

i can see the conversation now,

"hi cfo i would like to get x amount of licences that let me draw bolts in our cad package"

" what have you been doing in the past "

"well we could draw bolts but it took slightly more time"

" so why do you need this new thing then?"

"its faster and does a lot of the work for me"

"how much it it"

"its $xxxx.xx per seat"

"ಠ_ಠ"

"ill just go back to my desk"

hrmn i could change the bom table to have a second sub table for just fasteners

might have to go with that

More PTC spam... I haven't found a single occasion for Manikin lite either.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomD.inPDX)

You can turn it off it you don't want to see it. From the Read Me document:

To turn PTC Creo Intelligent Fastener Extension off, set the configuration option

intelligent_fastener_enabled to no and restart PTC Creo Parametric.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Cool! Spam with a switch

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I don't see a way to turn off Manikin, but you can disable AFX and the learning connector.

By default the Learning Connector is active. To disable the Learning Connector set the configuration option

enable_learning_connector to no.

To disable the Advanced Framework Extension (AFX), set the configuration option afx_enabled to NO.

garytinker
5-Regular Member

good to know,

thats going into the config.sup file asap

llie
16-Pearl

Tom,

I am unable to get this option to work. I have it set to no in my config.sup and config.pro located in the Common Files\text folder.

intelligent_fastener_enabled no

Creo 3 M030

Thank you in advance,

Lance L.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:llie)

You need both of these:

afx_enabled no

intelligent_fastener_enabled no

You can't turn off IFX unless AFX is also off.

llie
16-Pearl

Tom,

I added those two options to my config.sup and it worked, turned it off and removed it from the toolbar. I did a further test and added them to my local config and set them to yes which turns it back on.

I thought the config.sup is used to set thinks that you do not want overwritten?

I think it is time to open a case with PTC.

Thank you for sharing the information.

Lance

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:llie)

Yes, please do, and let me know what they say. The config.sup is not supposed to be able to be overridden.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

This is why I have created my own family tables with almost 11K parts in them in the past 18 months. We looked at IFX but when we heard the price to get the full version, decided to spend the money on something more productive.

I doubt these are the old pro_library file parts as IFX is licensed from B&W, so PTC has to make a profit on each license they sub-license.

Being individual part files is just not the best way to manage families of parts!

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

We looked at IFX but when we heard the price to get the full version, decided to spend the money on something more productive.

Just out of curiosity, what did you get instead?  Did you buy a different product or are you just using mapkeys and/or custom built automation to place fasteners?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

We continue to place fasteners manually. Only the top level assembly has a significant amount of fasteners in it. If we make a new top level structure, we usually copy the last one over and then make mods.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

Definitely not trying to sound like a sales guy here, but if you ever decide to purchase IFX, you can use all of your existing (11,000) fasteners with it, fully integrated with Windchill.  You don't have to use the ones that ship with it.

We have put all our fasteners (bolts, nuts, plugs, rings, pins, etc.) in an Interchange Assembly (IA).

Each fastener has a Component Interface (axis and plane) to make it easier to (re)place them.

And the IA gives us the huge benefit that we can swap any component for any other component. Place a bolt, swap it for a pin...place a ring, swap it for a plug...go nuts! 😉

So, those of us who've paid maintenance for years and, I believe, once paid extra for Pro/Library to get a bunch of poorly modeled, family table driven fasteners that hadn't been touched by PTC since the early 90s now get to pay again (and likely for the same parts) if we want "intelligent" (but likely still poorly modeled) fasteners?

Yep, sounds like PTC.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

And don't forget, prices go up this quarter for -everything-! Remember, recycling is a green thing to do

Going back to the original question can I add custom parameters

Using param_relations.txt you can define all teh relations and parameter you want. However as most people have already stated you will require the advanced version.

thanks, Jim

garytinker
5-Regular Member
(To:JimBarrettSmith)

i think im going to turn it off for the entire office. what a waste of time

Top Tags