cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

helical sweep sketch plane behavior

jstone-2
5-Regular Member

helical sweep sketch plane behavior

Something must have changed with the default behavior of helical sweep feature in the last year or two. I just recently noticed that selecting normal to trajectory does not orient the sweep section normal to the trajectory - the sketch plane defaults to the same plane you selected for the sweep profile sketch. The helical sweep feature did not behave like this in the past. The images below show a helical sweep created  06/2016 in Creo 3.0 (M050 I think) and a the same helical sweep created in M080.  Both have the same axis of revolution, both normal to trajectory selected for the sketch plane, but the sweep sections clearly are on different planes. However, once the feature is created the resulting geometry is the same on both. Has something changed between datecodes? Possibly a bug? I can't imagine why this would be intentional.

new_helical_sweep.jpgprevious_helical_sweep.jpg

1 REPLY 1

I just did this in Creo 2.0 M040 and it does the same thing.

When I first started the normal sketch, my pitch was tight so the orientation was as your 1st picture.

When I changed the pitch to a very loose pitch, the orientation changed to your second picture.

Remember that the "normal to trajectory" here is the helix, not the sketched line.

In other words, the sketch plane is dynamic and it just hadn't caught up with your settings.

Top Tags