cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

how to convert .stl file to solid geometry in creo?

sachary
3-Visitor

how to convert .stl file to solid geometry in creo?

Hi Team,

Could anyone of you help me to convert .stl file to solid geometry in creo software.

I tried to convert in Creo software from .stl file to solid object by option save as under that category as “shrinkwrap”.

It is getting converted but not exactly similar to the actual geometry. (please see below snap)

Thanks,

Regards,

Sudeep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cgorni
16-Pearl
(To:sachary)

To close this community thread on How to convert .stl file to solid geometry

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions, also summarized in article CS69498

• Export to a Shrinkwrap model
    • Use the File > Save As > Save a Copy command and change Type to Shrinkwrap, then Faceted Solid as Creation Method
    • The Quality Level may need to be adjusted
    • Be advised, this is an approximation of tessellated data and results will vary
  • Use Reverse Engineering / Restyle to redesign the model
    • Restyle is available from the Surfaces section drop down of the Model tab of the Ribbon, if the proper Reverse_Engineering license is available
    • This offers the possibility to use facets to create curves and surfaces, with some automatic capabilities to generate spline surfaces.
    • An example is presented in this video

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pimm
14-Alexandrite

As far as I know there is no way of doing this without incurring the faceting from the original model.

If ever there is a solution to getting a smooth part from STL I would be very interested.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

STL files are comprised of a collection of triangular facets. When I've had to use them as the basis of actual geometry in the past it's been a very tedious task. I basically had to build a new model and overlay it in an assembly with the STL generated part, do comparisons, etc. It works okay for model comprised of simple geometry, but if there is any sort of complex curvature, you're going to have a very difficult time of it.

There are precious few tools that will actually attempt to solidify facet models.

For high end CAD, this is normally sold as a reverse engineering tool at a premium.

I did try a freeware that attempted to solidify STLs but it was not very powerful.

cgorni
16-Pearl

To close this community thread on How to convert .stl file to solid geometry

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions, also summarized in article CS69498

• Export to a Shrinkwrap model
    • Use the File > Save As > Save a Copy command and change Type to Shrinkwrap, then Faceted Solid as Creation Method
    • The Quality Level may need to be adjusted
    • Be advised, this is an approximation of tessellated data and results will vary
  • Use Reverse Engineering / Restyle to redesign the model
    • Restyle is available from the Surfaces section drop down of the Model tab of the Ribbon, if the proper Reverse_Engineering license is available
    • This offers the possibility to use facets to create curves and surfaces, with some automatic capabilities to generate spline surfaces.
    • An example is presented in this video
Top Tags