cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

how to replace a new created part in many assemblies

rvlasic
5-Regular Member

how to replace a new created part in many assemblies

Dear all,

I created a new fixing parts (screws, nuts,..., pins...). Now I have to replace the old one in many assemblies.

Is there some way to say Creo2.0 that it can replace the old one by the new one easier? there is some way by "Unrelated Component" but I think there has to by an easier way.

Thank you for your reaction.

Roman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rvlasic)

You can create an interchange assy that you can use to map all the old references to the new part.

Then using the replace command, you can use the interchange to quickly replace the component.

It is still a manual process but you will not have to reselect all the reference over and over for each part.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ajansson
5-Regular Member

If you use Windchill you can copy the old article and tell Windchill that all assemblies that use the article should now use the new one instead.

If you work in a file system then you need to open each assembly and replace the component just as you say.

There might be third party tools that can automate the process

rvlasic
5-Regular Member
(To:ajansson)

Thank you for the news. I am working still with file system 😞

Know any body some trick how to made it with or without the third party tools?

Thank you

Roman

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You can create an interchange assy that you can use to map all the old references to the new part.

Then using the replace command, you can use the interchange to quickly replace the component.

It is still a manual process but you will not have to reselect all the reference over and over for each part.

rvlasic
5-Regular Member
(To:StephenW)

Thank you

I never heard before about Interchange assembly. But now it seems to be most easier with this.

Thank you

Best regards

Roman

A big +1 to the Interchange Assembly.

We have created an Interchange Assembly for all our fasteners.

We have not only added different sorts of bolts, but also nuts, washers and plugs. All these are being constraint with a Datum Plane and an Axis.

With this setup, we can switch from a bolt to a nut, or from a washer to a plug, or to anything else really.

Well, you can create a temporary assembly and assemble into it all the assemblies in which you have components that will be replaced by the new fixing components.  Then do a search in order to collect a given fastener - then perform the "replace by unrelated" to replace all its instances with the new one.

It really isn't that bad - especially if your old components were placed using an interface, and the new ones have the same interface.  Utilizing interchange assemblies can also help you here.

rvlasic
5-Regular Member
(To:pausob)

Thank you for yours tip. I will use the Interchange asm. And use "find" is also good way.

Thank you

Best regards

Roman

There are some tricks but most are frowned upon.

Valid methods include the actual "replace" operation.  When you use this, you must "unrelated" unless it is part of a family table of components.  If you are using family tables for your fasteners, you will have some advantages with the "replace" operation.  Replace should maintain some of the other associated references.  Exploded views is the 1st place to confirm that certain aspects are maintained.

If you do find yourself replacing hardware wholesale, patterns and assembly constraints are useful.  As is the "repeat" option.  In general, this is not a simple operation.  Consider it a true engineering change order requirement as a change such as this ripples through every next level assembly unless you follow a very strict regimen regarding family table operations.

Things to avoid is filename manipulation where you could corrupt the files.  

Corruption seems rare but PTC will tell you to not do this.

Top Tags