Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it a bug?

is it a bug?

Whenever i create a die/punch form on sheet metal...its weight increases then normal sheet. I dont understand how the weight increases than original sheet? either it can go constant or decreases i guess? Please correct me if i am going wrong!!!

35 REPLIES 35

Re: is it a bug?

the overall length of your plate remains the same...the punch or die you add just adds extra material.

that is the reason the weight increases.

But it shouldnt be like that...we create a punch or die from the exissting sheet!!!...Anyway to overcome this?

jehan that you do practically...but in proe that is not the case...

in proe the punch you add becmoes the extra material.

i don't think modeliing software would have a solution...

Hmmm it seems so ... May be there is an extension available for all such question that is FTI blank..the video shows the same way we want it...

but i don't think FTI blank gives a demo version...

Nope i have just been through some of its videos and website stuff ...

Highlighted

I think sheet metal in general is not 100% accurate in terms of mass.The bends have constant wall thickness, for example, instead of being thinned. buit those are somewhat trivial in comparison.

You can create an analysis feature in ahead of your die/punch features (assuming they are at the end of the tree) that captures the part mass and assigns it to a parameter. Creo also can assign mass to a part and use that in assembly level mass properties calculations. There may be a way to use the analysis feature true mass calculation to drive the assigned value.

A bit if work, and sorta clunky, but you may get it to work. I'd agree, the software should handle this better.

--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

First of all, I suggest making a support case of this and if they say it works to the product specification, escalate it and ask to see that specification. I don't know how -anyone- could justify this behavior!

As for a work around, try using quilt forms.

From a Creo perspective, if you are adding material to the CAD model, the mass is going to go up. Creo is not doing forming simulation. The material thickness is maintained. If the surface area goes up, the mass is going to go up.

Keep in mind too that if the specification doesn't explicitly say something different should occur, then by definition it is automatically "to spec".

"To spec" does NOT necessarily equal "makes sense", "intuitive", "desirable", or anything else.