cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

is it a bug?

puzzled
1-Newbie

is it a bug?

Whenever i create a die/punch form on sheet metal...its weight increases then normal sheet. I dont understand how the weight increases than original sheet? either it can go constant or decreases i guess? Please correct me if i am going wrong!!!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
35 REPLIES 35

@David I am so sorry it wasnt for you ...that was for philip Harris...i clicked on wrong reply.. again sorry

Jehan.... have you found a solution among the replies that has helped with your query?

I have been out for a week...festival time so ..and came back yesterday night...i gave a try to what Rohit said...and asked one of my colleague to compare the same result with a software called logo press(add in to check flatten form and other things too) i will come up with few other comparison and let you know how much error it causes with other components...as flatten quilt doesn;t take into account this y-k factor and also thinning or stretching.i ll also look into other solution u gave too!!its morning and going to office

There is only one other gotcha I found. If the form tool removes material, flattening forms will add that material back. You have to somehow remove the material other than forms if you need an accurate mass with forms flattened. Extrude or hole feature will work. Just another non-intuitive requirement to complicate efforts that should be built in.

Attached is a test file i've been playing with: Creo 2.0

smt_mass_prop.PNG

yess...this can be easily dealt when we have a simple geometry unlike the louver !!!...i have the my product in production lets see if the all dimensions are accurate how much difference it makes!! i will share the details of original blank and its weight and final one !!

Be sure the shop confirms thier Y or K factor correction for their calculations. You also want to confirm their break die radius is the same as yours. The only remaining variable will be the actual sheet thinkness which could be as much as +/-10% of the mass with thinner gauges.

In the sample above, I get a nearly 10% difference between the formed mass and the true flat state mass.

Top Tags