cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

parameter driven flexibility

zwilson93
4-Participant

parameter driven flexibility

Is there any way take a parameter driven sub assembly, put it into a higher level assembly, make that sub assembly flexible, and then control that flexibility with a parameter from the higher level assembly?

I have a sub assembly that has a hinge with angles that are driven with the parameter "HINGE_ANGLE". I'm trying to pull that sub assembly into a higher level assembly and control that same hinge angle from this new, higher level assembly. So I made the sub assembly flexible and added the "HINGE_ANGLE" parameter in the Varied Items. Next, I added "ANGLE" to the parameters of the top level assembly. I then went back into the Flexibility Varied Items and set "ANGLE" as an associated parameter to "HINGE_ANGLE".  Now I'm getting circular reference errors. Is there something I am missing, or am I just going about this the wrong way?

9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

so you have parameter driven subassembly included in higher level assembly. If I were you I would create a relation in higher level assembly which drives parameter existing in sub-assembly.

I can create an example for you ... just let me know what Creo version do you use.

Martin Hanák
zwilson93
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

That would be fantastic. I am using Creo Parametric 2.0

Hi,

• open topasm.asm
  • set TOPASM_ANGLE param value
  • regenerate

Martin Hanák
zwilson93
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

That almost does it, but the problem is that I need the top level assembly to change and the sub assembly to not change. Like, if you took your TOPASM and put it into an assembly that required 4 TOPASM that all had different angles, it would not work. You would have have to do something like make TOPASM flexible. The problem is that I don't know how to make a parameter on the top level assembly that can input its value into a flexible part. Is there any way around this problem? Is there any way to adjust a flexible assembly without having to go through the process of opening the component placement, going to the flexibility tab, selecting the varied items, clicking parameters and then entering the value? 

Thanks,

Zach

If you create a flowchart diagram of where you want the change to be made and what you want affected it would help understand what you are asking for.

zwilson93
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

UPDATE:

Thanks for the help, I was able to figure it out. You make the assembly flexible, then give the flexible part an associated parameter.  When you go back into your relations, you have to search through local parameters to find that new associated parameter. That associated parameter can then be added into your relations from there.    

My flow chart is bad. 

I have a base hinge assembly. Its angle can be input through a parameter.

I am pulling that hinge assembly into higher level assembly so that I can attach a part to it.

from that higher level assembly I want to control the hinge angle, but I want the base hinge assembly to not change its angle when the higher level assembly is altered. 

That is why I was looking at flexible parts. If I make the hinge flexible and select the angle parameter, I can adjust it at the higher level assembly without changing the angle for the lower level assembly. 

Is there any way to use the parameters in the higher level assembly to adjust a parameter from a flexible subassembly? 

Hi,

it looks like you've found a solution. I tried to create flexible components (subassemblies), too. Unfortunatelly I had to remove relations from my models and I am able to modify flexible dimensions via Edit Definition of component and then Flexibility tab > Varied Items button.

Martin Hanák
BPenrod1
5-Regular Member
(To:zwilson93)

Were you able to get this to work?  I have a similar issue.  I want to show a sub assembly component at 2 different angular dimensions and control this via a family table column.  

You can also use EXECUTE statements to drive the INPUT parameters of a sub-assembly.

Top Tags