cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

parametric family table entries

RossGalson
4-Participant

parametric family table entries

In my design work I use the same start assembly multiple times during a year. My problem is I cannot rename this start assembly or the parts associated with it without a substantial amount of time spent updating the family tables. My solution up untill now has been to place my models in their own folders, but it is getting cumbersome with so many models with the exact same names. I use the family tables to designate different sizes of the master assembly as well as the parts that go into the assembly.

My basic assembly structure is as follows:

Generic Master Assembly

Generic master Skeleton

Generic Sub assembly

Generic part

Both my generic sub assembly and generic part have copy geometry relations from the master skeleton

The sub assembly has assembly references to the master assembly

I do it this way because I build tubed structures and this structure is the only one I have found that works, this is why:

I have tubes (generic part, that can grow with the master skeleton dimensions)

I have miter cuts (made as assembly cuts in the generic sub assembly) that have to be made to these tubes that are reliant on many tubes assembled onto my master skeleton (thus the assembly reference to the master assembly).

note: having the sub assembly is not necessary but is a nice place holder.

All of the parts and assemblies have family tables within them.

A typical instance would look like:

assembly_10

skeleton_10

sub_assembly_10

part_10

the family table row for part_10 would like this:

Name external reference

part_10: skeleton_10

The problem:

In the event I rename the the master assembly and master skeleton, all the family table part links remain good, but the actual entry in the family table does not update with the new name. This causes my instances to fail, unless I go back in and manually update all the family tables in my assembly.

example:

Using the above instance, lets say i change the master assembly and skeleton name to assembly_blue_10 and skeleton_blue_10. Now part_10 would still have the correct link to the newly renamed skeleton model, but the instance would fail because it would still be looking for the skeleton_10 model, since this part of the family table would not have updated.

Question:

Is there a way to put a global parameter into individual family table cells?

Is there another way to link my instances to other family table instances?

Does anyone have a way to solve this issue I am not thinking about?

Thank you

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags