cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

[proesys] - Computer processors

DamianCastillo
1-Newbie

[proesys] - Computer processors

Mike,

I am not a Computer Processor expert by any means.

As for the question about RAM. The 3 gig switch for Windows XP is only
related to the 32bit version of the OS. A 32bit OS can't see anything
larger than 3 GB of RAM. If you are running a 64bit OS, you don't need to
do anything in order for all the RAM to be visible and usable by the OS.
This however does not mean that a software application is optimized for
using that RAM or Multiple Processor Cores.

I believe that Wildfire 4 supported multiple processors for threading an
assembly but not sure how much support Pro/E has for multi-core setups
across the board. I am running Wildfire 5 on Windows 7 Professional
64-bit. We have 6GB or Ram on some systems and 12GB on others. We are
running Quad Core's but I could not tell you if Wildfire 5 is taking
advantage of them.

Pro/E supports multi-core, but I think it's only for specific operations.

Damián Castillo
CAD & Administration Manager
Engineering Department
Hensley Industries
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Using WF 5 M040 on Win 7 Pro on a Dell Precision T5500 with an

Intel Xeon E5640 processor with 6 Gb RAM that shows eight cores on Task Manager.

Doing regens, etc... on parts and assemblies only shows activity on one core only.

I don't have Mechanica or Interlink to test, I don't think that testing Mechanica Lite is of any value for this issue.

The OS and multiple cores do seem to behave better than the older dual processor systems under Win NT or Win2K. For example:

ANSYS Workbench v12.1 for will 'spike' all eight cores at times. I can't tell how much of this is processing and how much of this is Windows housekeeping. The overall cpu is at about 25% though. Other apps (like Pro-E) run very well while ANSYS is running, and the system performance overall is very good.

I agree that on a 64 bit system, the 3Gb switch has no application.

There was a thread I read somewhere, where using the 3GB switch on a 32 bit system can actually destabilize the system. The 3Gb switch was originally designed for database or file server machines with modest graphic cards. If I remember (I could be wrong), it allowed a 32 bit system to address 36 bits of address space.

The 3Gb switch can cause the system to try to use some of the space that can be also allocated to managing the memory requirements of graphics cards with large amounts of RAM. The graphics card and/or the app and/or the OS becomes unstable and crashes.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317
Top Tags