cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

"New File Options" window always comes up behind main Pro/E Window

TedOtto
3-Visitor

"New File Options" window always comes up behind main Pro/E Window

Whenever I create a new part or assembly, the "New File Options" (where you can pick your start part/asm) window always opens up behind the main Pro/E window. If I minimze Pro/E and them bring it back up, then the "New File Options" window comes back up on top. I've just dealt with it. Has anyone else seen this, is there a fix so it opens up on top?

Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M100

Thanks!
Ted

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I posted this on the sys admin list previously, it's not a total fix, but it helps.

3/20/12 Solution: Win 7 - popup behind Creo & ProE
I think I found a solution. There are two registry entries that control this.
The first controls how many times the tool bar flashes to let you know there is a active window behind other. You will not need this after changing these. The second controls how long the active window waits before it comes to the front. The default is ~3.3 minutes. I think you want this set to zero. I can't imagine why Microsoft even put this in the OS.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ForegroundFlashCount"=dword:00000000
"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00000000

Note The default decimal value for the ForegroundLockTimeout registry entry is set as 200000.

Restart your computer for these to take affect.

3/22/12
This solution is not consistent. I still get windows that popup behind Creo.

When I first bring up Creo 1.0, and pick new file, I get a prompt to log into...

I've always found Pro/E's active window handling to be pretty flaky.

For instance, I think if you open a second (or third, or fourth) file in
Pro/E, then switch to a different application, you'll probably find that
Pro/E has brought one of its non-active windows to the front.

It's not as bad as Acrobat Reader, though, which I've killed at least
once because it produced an update window but put it at the back - but
then wouldn't let me do anything until I'd hit OK or Cancel on the
update window, which I didn't know was there!

Jonathan

The issue I was addressing is a global Windows 7 issue. You can have meeting notices that pop up behind the current window and thus not see them. The solution I gave improves the behavior a lot but doesn't cure it. So this isn't really PTC fault, you can lay the blame squarely on Microsoft's shoulders. They are the ones that screwed up the perfectly fine behavior that XP had.

As for switching windows in ProE/Creo, I see a lot of users that pick on windows tool bar to switch windows. The problem with that is it only brings the window to the front, it doesn't make it active. Users should rather use Windows Command to switch windows inside of ProE & Creo. That brings the window to the front and makes it active.

David Haigh

Alt-W Its a wonderful thing... 🙂

Top Tags