cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

repeat region summation parameter in assembly relations

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

repeat region summation parameter in assembly relations

I am totally stuck on this.

In a repeat region I have used the summation command to get the total weight, but only being able to use this value in the current drawing is only half of what I need it to do.

I need to have the total weight of an assembly to be in the assembly relations.

I have made a mapkey but what I'm looking for is something fully automated.

Does anyone know how to do this?

here is another thread but I think the customization group might have some good insight.

Repeat region summation.

Maybe using a vb.net program to do this to all drawings all at once?

Thank you for your time.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

assembly weight is saved in system PRO_MP_MASS parameter.

mass.png

MH

Martin Hanák
SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi Martin good to hear from you.

yeah I really like that solution but I hit a road block because of how it uses quantity; here are some examples.

on the part level i change the source to be parameter, then I add weight=pro_mp_mass or maybe I did weight=pro_mp_alt_mass.... but anyway...

if there is an item that has a quantity of (7) and weights .5 Lbs, the weight for that item 7@.5lbs=3.5  and where I work they want to calculate the weight by doing this.... floor((weight*qty)+.5).   and so i tried putting that at the part level something like this--->  weight=floor(pro_mp_mass+.5)

that would give me weight=1 at the part level, then the assembly level would be a total of 7 Lbs. when what my company wants is  4 Lbs

so that brings me to the quantity issue. if there were some way to pull quantity i could do the weight at the assembly level, but then I would just be back to manually entering weights for newly assembled parts.

grrr... I'm so close to having this fully automated

Use weight=pro_mp_mass + 0.5 / 7

Martin Hanák
SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:MartinHanak)

right. but how do i pull the quantity into the part?

I expected that the component with quantity of (7) is assembled 7-times in your assembly.

MH

Martin Hanák

Ok seems like it boils down to "how to get a part quantity from the assembly into the part associatively?".

I tried that many times. A single part can be present in any number of assemblies, and that basically answers why there is no associative way to get the quantity value from the assembly to the part.

A script that reads the folder structure, opens all the models and does the job automatically is a way to do this, but that's nowhere near associative.

vzak
6-Contributor
(To:James62)

hmm ... I'll probably ask the same as Martin was after : why using quantity in calculating assembly mass properties ?

wherever you do in a particular component (use calculated mass or assigned mass  by setting pro_mp_origin = ... ) - you will get respective result in the next lever assembly, and elevated till the top level assembly mass.

Or is your case actually that you want to calculate mass of each component, and then add some constant (or coefficient) to it passing it higher ? If this is the case, will you add this constant only to parts, or also when summing assemblies at a next level ?  (this would be bad idea due to accumulation of constants though)

If you just need a safety coefficient - can you just calculate entire assembly then add that coefficient ?

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:James62)

Yes, I also pondered about this request.

Am I right to assume that the idea is for small parts which are assembled multiple times, to have the total mass for them, rounded to numbers without digits (therefore the floor function)? In the BOM they will appear as one position with this mass, right?

This would in fact require the calculation of the total number of instances of a same parts in the assembly.

And since this number can change on subassembly level, while the top assembly is not in session, this quantity would have to update in session.

I don't believe we have such a thing out-of-the-box. Quantities are only computed for the BOM.

Top Tags