cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

set referencing type for shrinkwrap and internal components in shrinkwrap

DennisRehmer
8-Gravel

set referencing type for shrinkwrap and internal components in shrinkwrap

To all,

I am creating a shrink-wrap part in an assembly, but am not sure what the difference is on one of the settings. when i pick the part to add the shrink-wrap in, at the top there are two ways to do this:

• Set referencing type Assembly context
  • Set referencing type external

I do not know what the difference is for these two and am looking for some guidance.

Also, when I go to create the shrink wrap, and pick the option of "Autocollect all solid features" it asks "Would you like to exclude internal components?" so I pick Yes for this. But when I open the shrink-wrap part, and make a section thru it, it still has the internal components in the shrink-wrap model. Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,

Dennis

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi Dennis,

If the option Set referencing type Assembly context is selected, then the Shrinkwrap feature will be created using the surfaces of the assembly.  But if you toggle the option to Set referencing type External, this will allow you to change the model and copy surfaces, datums, etc. from a different reference model.

The following is a copy/paste from the Help Center document - To Create a Shrinkwrap Feature

• Autocollect all solid surfaces—Create a Shrinkwrap containing the external and internal solid surfaces of the model. When this method is selected and the active component is a part, the following commands are available in the Options tab:
    • Solidify resulting geometry—Create a solid Shrinkwrap.
    • Leave as quilt if solidification fails—Restore failed solid Shrinkwraps and create a quilt Shrinkwrap instead.

Thanks,

Amit

Top Tags