cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

wf2.0 install on a windows 7 laptop

cncwhiz
1-Newbie

wf2.0 install on a windows 7 laptop

I put wf2.0 32 bit in my 64 bit windows 7 laptop. It wont let me run ptcsetup once installed. My parts and assemblies do not highlight but pro sees the parts and or assemblies. H ow do I fix the highlighting issue as well as use ptcsetup?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
sl2741
1-Newbie
(To:cncwhiz)

Hi Terry,

I'm trying to get wf2 running on my new win 7 laptop with zero success.

I was wondering if you got it going?

Scott

I think only Wildfire 4.0 M110 and above are the only versions that work
on W7.

Damián Castillo
CAD & Administration Manager
Engineering Department
Hensley Industries
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I know that we had to run WF 2 off of a network installation at our facility. It would not run if installed local or wouldn't even install locally, I can't remember. And then WF2, even on Win 7, 64 bit, network installs had memory issues that we couldn't overcome. Win XP 64bit local installs could open assys that Win 7 64 bit network installs could not.

Thank goodness we finally moved to WF4.
JeffS.
1-Newbie

I am running WF2-M280 , WF4-M140 and WF5-M030 all on a Win7 32bit laptop.

WF2 has a small issue with the title bar displaying properly, but runs
just fine. I am using a Dell M6300 with an Nvidia Quadro FX1600 display
adapter with Nvidia drivers.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Schnellinger
Senior Mechanical Engineer
jeff.schnellinger@kistler.com

I'm not sure if this is closed since it's a few months old but if you're still having trouble with this it's likely due to the fact that the beginning of all of the batch files (including ptcsetup.bat) identify the path to the obj folder by machine type. Since you're running a 32 bit installation on a 64 bit workstation the batch file will be looking for ..\x86e_win64\obj which won't exist. Add something like this to the beginning of ptcsetup.bat:

set MC=i486_nt
goto mc_done

Since PTCSetup re-writes these batch files this will only work once, you might want to copy it to some other name.

In Reply to Terry Thomas:
I put wf2.0 32 bit in my 64 bit windows 7 laptop. It wont let me run ptcsetup once installed. My parts and assemblies do not highlight but pro sees the parts and or assemblies. H ow do I fix the highlighting issue as well as use ptcsetup?

1. Reinstalling Windows will result in all the data being lost from your hard disk so it’s essential to make a copy of everything you want to preserve. Depending on the size of these documents, you could use an external hard drive, a networked drive, or a stack of DVDs.

2. Later, you’ll need to activate Windows using the product key (five groups of five characters) so make sure you can find it on a Microsoft sticker somewhere on your PC. If there’s no sticker or it’s illegible, you can find it using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. (When you install it, be careful not to also install the optional search bar.)

3. Shut down your PC, put the Windows disc in the CD/DVD slot and start it up. All being well, it should boot from this disk. If it boots to Windows normally, you’ll have to use the BIOS menus to make your PC boot from a disk – see How to enter the BIOS for instructions.

4. Windows Setup will start and, on the first screen you should specify your preferred language, time and currency format, and the nationality of your keyboard. You’ll also be shown a screen on which you’re required to agree to the licence conditions.

5. You’ll now be asked “Which type of installation do you want?” and both options will be explained. Choose the “Custom (advanced)” option will take you back to the way your PC was when it left the factory.

6. Next you’ll be asked “Where do you want to install Windows?”. Sometimes just one partition will be shown, in which case just click on Next. If multiple partitions are displayed, select the first primary partition (usually the largest) before clicking on Next.

7. Windows 7 will now be installed and progress will be reported in the list of actions and the progress bar. This could take some time. Often it’ll seem that the installation has got stuck in the “Completing installation” phase so be patient.

8. Next, you’ll be guided in setting up a user account. Also, you’ll need to provide the product key that you identified in Step 2. This will be used later, when you’re online, to activate the new installation of Windows.

9. Follow the instructions to select security options (we suggest accepting the default setting), the time and date format, and perhaps to connect to a wireless network and join a Homegroup if these are detected.

10. Windows will now start but the desktop will look different and rather empty. Your next job, therefore, is to re-install the various applications that you use on a regular basis. Resist the temptation to reinstall everything or you’ll be heading for a cluttered system again.

11. Now go to Device Manager – search for it in the Start menu – and check that drivers have been installed for all the hardware. If you see and devices with an exclamation mark, go to the manufacturer’s website and download the latest versions. You should find the appropriate drivers by using your laptop’s exact model code; for a PC, you’ll need to know the motherboard make and model, and the model numbers of other key components such as the graphics card.

12. Now, using the backup you created in Step 1, copy all your files back onto your PC. You’ll probably also want to select your favourite wallpaper and make all the other changes necessary to customise your PC the way you like it.

Please check the "pro_font_dir" statement on your config.pro. It could be that some of the newer fonts in Win7.0 or later is causing WF2 to crash when you try to edit. Perhaps you could change it to this:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\proeWildfire 2.0\text\" . In my laptop, WF2 is installed in "D:\Program Files (x86)\proeWildfire 2.0". These are native fonts of WF2. This worked for me.

Top Tags