cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

xtop exe *32 ??

ChrisVanHoeck
1-Newbie

xtop exe *32 ??

I am using a 64 bit machine, with 64gb of ram and I keep getting an error when opening an assembly file that states I am short on memory. I checked my processes and the process for creo is xtop exe *32, does this mean that it is using the 32 bit version of Creo? I am not sure how to check as IT dept set up the workstation. I tried on another workstation with less memory and no problem, file opens fine, the whole process used 8.3 GB, this process was just called xtop.exe.

7 REPLIES 7

You didn't mention what version of Creo or what app. I'm assuming Creo Parametric.

However, I think back to Proe WF5 there has only been one installer for both 32 and 64 bit workstations so it's not possible to install the wrong one.

I have a 64 bit WS too and I get xtop.exe *32 as well. I assume that's normal, but I'd love to understand what the *32 means.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Im using Creo Elements Pro M170.

I spoke with TEch support at PTC and they said it was a 32 bit installation. I have several 64 bit workstations and they all say xtop.exe.

Interesting.

I jsut checked my installations fo WF4, WF5, Creo 1 and Creo 2. All are using 64 bit xtop.exe, I was mistaken.

However, in Creo 1 & Creo 2, parametric.exe has the *32 by it. I wonder if that's right?

--
LinkedIn

Yes, I see the same on my "good" workstations, however I am not familiar with the parametric.exe, but mine also say parametric.exe *32 on Creo 2.0. WTF??

I'm thinking that IT installed a wrong version.

But there's only one installer. I've run the installer and there are no choices about 32 vs. 64 bit, the installer determines that. I'm thinking that there is no 64 bit version of parametric.exe. I think all the heavy lifting is done by xtop.exe, so it's not likely a problem.

--
LinkedIn

Well, no. For Creo Elements/Pro (or rather ProE Wildfire 5.0 ) there are two separate installers to download, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit.

creo_install.PNG

Looks like Chris has only the 32-bit version. Both versions have been bundled in one installer starting with Creo Parametric, AFAIR. Also, you can choose which version to install - you can select x86 or x64 architecture or even both when installing Creo 2.0 (while customizing installation options) and I think it was also possible for Creo 1.0.

Chris, to have 64-bit version of Creo Elements/Pro simply go to Software Download page at PTC site and download appropriate version.

Plus, main executable for Creo is xtop.exe and it should match system architecture. I think (I'm not certain, though), that parametric.exe is some kind of wrapper they use to launch main application and that wrapper may in fact be 32-bit, since it's main, or only task is to launch xtop process.

Doru
5-Regular Member
(To:ChrisVanHoeck)

I have the same error - PTC Creo trial Player with Creo Parametric 4.0 (trial version).

Too fixed I use Windows update for universal c runtime in windows 299226  Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.msu .

Attention from selection with type of windows use (W 7 x64, W 8 x32, W 10x 64........).

After this update work great Creo - unfortunately I lost 15 day from trial.

All the best,

Doru

Top Tags