cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your top 3 pain points regarding CAD?

Highlighted

Re: What are your top 3 pain points regarding CAD?

I will keep that in mind and contact you, if at some point we deem needed. Thank you for reaching out Phil!!!

Zachary Hopkins
Highlighted

1.  Drawing support: By far my top pain point.  We're slow to embrace MBD (but moving that direction).  As a result, drawings will be here for a long time still.  We still need to be able to create detail drawings efficiently.  The past move from CP3 to CP4 was especially painful for many in my company, due to changes in annotations, and caused bad habits and workarounds. 

2.  GD&T annotations - I prefer to create feature control frames outside of GD&T advisor, and the normal tool allows too much freedom for where various symbols are used.  Seems like entire symbol pallet is allowed as an option for the fill in fields for the feature control frame and datum reference frame.  I know what is and isn't allowed for each field, but now I have to bounce around the ribbon to find the right symbol in a stack of nonsense symbols.  I think I remember when this wasn't so backwards on earlier versions of this software.  Maybe there could be a context specific symbol dropdown at each entry line, help users from being "lost in the noise".

3.  Importing parts: It sometimes takes time to import parts from vendors correctly.  Often they import as surfaces only because something got lost in translation.  We have the ability to fix these to an extent, but often it takes considerable time.  It's a problem, and we end up having some of our users not even try, so now we have tons of connector models in our library as quilts only, no volume or mass.  Importing could be easier, notification of failure to import could shown, layer control of imported parts should definitely be easier (kill the 500 extra nonsense layers).  Cleaner imports will result in a cleaner library, allowing us to put our focus on our own design.

Highlighted

1. Managing multiple CAD systems.

2. Standards across multiple divisions.

3. Sharing and collaboration with dissimilar groups.

Highlighted

Before i get started, I do want to echo other users comments that PTC  is looking so far ahead into the future that they seem to be failing to fix the tools that got them there.  I am all about innovation and such and am pretty excited about some of the new functionality coming, but it seems that all of their resources are being thrown to the new technologies and such that basic processes aren't being addressed, many of which have been on lists to improve for years.  Some examples, Notes in drawings are clunky, why can't we get something in there that is more word processing savvy and not a homegrown solution?  Another one is getting kicked out of Creo unexpectedly.  This happens FAR too often for a software that should be mature enough to handle all of this.  I don't want to sound downtrodden and that PTC isnt looking out for us because they do make some improvements in the overall UI, but some of these are just basic usability, and should be able to be fixed pretty easily.  

1. FLAT REPS...We are told that Flat Pattern and Flat Reps are "working" and released in Creo 6.0.  Awesome.  Being one of the people that suggested this solution, I am happy to report that it "works"... BUT, saying it "works" is only partially accurate.  First off, the rep should NOT have to be called "MODELNAME_Flat".  We use a lot of family tables with Instances for different sizes, and when that rep is in the generic has the Generic's model name in the name of the flat rep, that is not well thought out.  That rep should ONLY be called "Flat" or "Flat State".  That's it!!!  My second gripe with this "solution" is that, yes it works, but it is adding a feature to the Family Table to create that rep.  Why?  That is just something else for our users to screw up.  If there is no flat state instance, why should we need to have a feature in the Family Table?  Should be obvious that the rep just flattens this in the background and shouldnt have to rely on the Family Table...  Lastly, why cant we swap part models (within the same family table) that stay at the same rep in the drawings?  We have to go to each individual view and swap that out.  With Drawings for Assembly models we dont have to do that...  Can we PLEASE get this fixed!!!!  This is the ONLY thing preventing us from rolling with this Flat Rep, but the drawings are the only thing holding up the show because it creates multiple associations to the drawing.
  2. The notification center and error messages are a joke.  They pop up to say, "Hey, you have an error", but do nothing to help diagnose the issue.  I agree with one of the users that if this window is going to pop up, but not explain what is causing the issue, then why waste the pixels displaying it?
  3. No "good" way to compare models.  Creo View has "capabilities", but since the navigation is so clunky and doesn't follow ANY of the model manipulation and movements from Creo Parametric, our users simply choose not to use it, and it leaves a bad taste in their mouths about creo view.  So either add some of the compare functionality into Creo OR, better yet, FIX Creo View.
Highlighted

I will agree with cgourru, the lack of support with BIM models is becoming an increasing headache for us.   Many times not able to bring in their native data, we have to try to convert to STEP or IGES with another tool, and sadly SolidWorks is becoming my friend for that...

Highlighted

I agree with the basics missing some love. For example, remembering what
folder view you used for your last selection, what a waste of time having
to edit the folder view every time you go to open a part.
The same applies to saving an STL file, where you have to remember to
select "customize export" every time. Previous versions used to remember
you want to customize but the latest not so.

To add to @rsoukup we need an updated smarter relation editor based on a current language. Even using Mathcad as the back end would be great. 

Highlighted

In general I've found PTC ignoring the core content in favor of new bells and whistles.  The core content used to work really well but recently has gotten harder to use, is inconsistent and I have more crashes than ever.

1) The drawing package has become very cumbersome and really bad compared to some competitors.  This is by far the number one complaint in our company. There are many issues here much of it has been to do with the way annotations and GDT are just not as intuitive as they used to be.  The whole precision and round dimension check box is a pain and very counter intuitive (showing drawing limits at 4 decimal places while the nominal is 5 decimal places).  The show model annotations and the show/hide/erase/delete mix of confusing picks.  Drawing notes are a joke compared to others.  It needs some kind of basic word processing.  In notes when I have a drawing symbol that has variable text imbedded in the note (like a flag note callout) when a new symbol is inserted all the variable text numbers on the other flag notes, sometimes changes, sometimes it doesn't.

2) Windchill has a terrible user interface and is very unintuitive for the normal users.  Lots of training and rules are required to ensure trouble free collaboration between team members on a common large assembly.  The Creo/Windchill interaction is clunky.  I never thought I'd say that I really miss Interlink.  I liked the way I could  replace models in Intralink by bringing a models in through the back door (operating system). 

3) A big time suck for us is bringing in customer and vendor models in a step file made with another package.   It's very difficult to import complex geometry from a step file and have it come in as a solid.  The Data doctor like many things in Creo is non-intuitive and difficult to use.  

Minor annoyances are the analysis and the measure summary box.  Why does it always start minimized?  Why is it so cumbersome to use.   Flag errors in model trees indicate mass properties are not update show up on an inconsistent basis. 

Inconsistencies and cumbersome interface are really my biggest complaints.  Please improve the core tools and interface you have to make them more user friendly, intuitive and stable compared to the competition before developing new bells and whistles. 

Highlighted

In regards to "Minor annoyances are the analysis and the measure summary box.  Why does it always start minimized?", the default can be changed to expanded using the config.pro option "measure_dialog_expand".

2019-10-28_12-36-03.png

Highlighted

This is a measure of how non-intuitive Creo is, this info should be easy to
find.
This is why it is often the case that you end up with a company Creo guru
who has the tenacity and stubbornness to search for hidden solutions and
functions.
Announcements
Register Now!