cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Does anyone know how the "Level" thing works on your user profile?

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Does anyone know how the "Level" thing works on your user profile?

What, is it like your credit score, and just as arbitrary and unfathomable?  Does anyone know?  Just curious....

17 REPLIES 17
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Patriot_1776)

It's a point system based on your posts/kudos/ideas/pictures/videos/replies/accepted solutions.

And it's proprietary...hahahahaha

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Levels-are-they-randomly-assigned/m-p/536428

When we first moved to lithium, they made levels that gave and endless supply of meaningless names but we complained endlessly and they changed it to a numbered system.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Welcome-How-To-s/Learn-About-Ranks/m-p/475124

I do miss being an OVERLORD!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

Man, in that case, can I be "Lord Of All I Survey!"???  Or if not, they can just call me "CAD Monkey".....

Funny that in the old system (chart) you got 5 points for replying to a discussion....but only 3 for posting the correct answer???  Whaaaa...?  I forget how many "points" I had.

Proprietary gamification points system???  *facepalm*

Weird, I seem to have been stuck on 13 forever.  Maybe because by now PTC management must truly hate me?  LOL

@ PTC  You want participation?  So how about this:  You get a certain level of points, and you get a free copy of creo!  I mean, in the past, I offered to beta-test for you guys in exchange for a copy, and was rewarded with the sound of.....crickets.....

" I mean, in the past, I offered to beta-test for you guys "

Isn't that we do when we load an initial release of any PTC software!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenLoosli)

Bwahahahaha!  Too true!

@Patriot_1776 wrote:

...Or if not, they can just call me "CAD Monkey".....

@Patriot_1776, we will gladly call you our CAD Monkey 😉

CAD Monkey.jpg

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:HamsterNL)

That's me!

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:Patriot_1776)

Hi @Patriot_1776   (and friends),

Frank asks a very good question.  The Community Team is actually in the process of reviewing levels and incorporating a new ranking/badging strategy that will give us some growing room.  

In my tenure here as your Community Manager ( 2 years this September 🙂  gamification has been something I have wanted to address.  No one should stay in the same rank "indefinitely" and the backend formulas need to be readjusted.  

I have had some sidebar conversations with the Community Champions about this topic.

So, from the posts on this thread...I am assuming "animal name "  (i.e. CAD Monkey) ranks are a go?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Jaime_Lee)

Gamification...hmmm...sounds highly technical...

I'm just saying that no one liked the first round of gamification with a list of about 20 or so arbitrary labels that meant absolutely nothing to anyone. We complained endlessly...Toby changed it to the number system. That seemed to quell the complaining for the most part. 

Generally, the users who participate regularly don't much care what level anyone is at (my opinion).

I'm here to learn from others, not to "level up". When I answer someones question, it's not unusual at all for me to learn there is a better way, or a quicker solution, or I am completely wrong (the normal outcome).

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The level numbering is fine and I don't really pay much attention to it.

If the question is a simple answer that could have been answered if the person had just read the manual or help files AND they are low level (less than 3), I may give them an answer like 'Go read the manual".

For the most part the numbers tell someone else how much experience the person asking or answering the question has and that is all it should indicate.

Learning from others, no matter what their level, is what makes the community work.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Hi, we have a private group talking about ranking and badging on the community if anyone wants to contribute to the conversation.  Private because we would like an element of surprise and delight for the majority of our community members 🙂

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Jaime_Lee)

Makes me think of the Dr. Seuss book about "The Star Belly Sneetches"

LOL  Funny you should mention that, Dale, I just visited my fave art gallery here (so far - all the "southwest" stuff bores me), which features.....Dr. Seuss.  The website doesn't show it, but there's a TON of Dr. Seuss stuff there, even some really cool sculptures.  Turns out he's quite an artist!

http://www.chuckjones.com/shopchuckjones/index.php/shop/artists/dr-seuss/

Interesting that it is a Chuck Jones (Warner Brothers Shorts) websites and not Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss).

Yeah, from having been in there a few times, it's split about 50/50 between Jones's work and Dr. Seuss's.  Pretty cool gallery, truly a place for kids of all ages!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Chuck Jones used to sponsor a FA/5000 race car back in the early 1970's. Competed against The Smother's Brothers Racing team.

Dick Smothers used to drive a Formula B car while they hired a driver for their Formula A/5000 car.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenLoosli)

Nice!  Funny how so many famous people enjoy racing, and you'd never know it unless you really followed it.  Steve McQueen and his actor friends raced under false names to avoid hassle from the movie studios.

When I saw this post I thought "oh, maybe I missed a discussion that gives more details about this level business, I'll check it out". Only to get a chuckle as I see that it's *my* past inquiry about the same thing, with the kind of detail I'd get if I asked a Coca-Cola executive "Hey, what's in the formula for this stuff?"

I still stand by my comments on the original topic, though. There's a weird vagueness about this level nonsense - at least with my credit score I can kind of see how specific things I did hurt or helped it.

Top Tags