cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Hide All My Photos From Public

ThoRig
12-Amethyst

Hide All My Photos From Public

Community,

Is there a way to hide my photos from public view?  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Leigh
Community Manager
(To:ThoRig)

Hi ThoRig,

Below are the steps you need to take in order to make your current public images private:

1. Access your Member Profile.

Access Member Profile.png

1. On the right hand side rail of your profile, Click on “My Photos”.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.05.16 AM.png

1. You then will see “All Images”.  You can manage change image status via this tab or thru the “Albums” tab.  There are three default albums:  Private, Profile & Public. (below screenshots are based on using the “Albums” tab.)

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.09.35 AM.png

1. Click on your “Public” album.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.06.35 AM.png

1. Select the image you want to make “Private” and then click the “Image Options” dropdown and select “Move Image”.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.16.19 AM.png

1. Select the new destination album “Hidden” and select “Move”.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.17.51 AM.png

For any new image uploads, you have the ability to select which album where you assign the image. Based on the board you post the image to will determine the default album it will be assigned.  (aka - if you post in a public board – the default album assigned will be “Profile”)

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.21.55 AM.png

I hope this answers your question.  If not, please let me know!

Best,

Leigh

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Leigh
Community Manager

Hi ThoRig,

Thank you for posting this question.  I wanted to let you know that I have taken this on for further investigation and I will update this thread with my findings so that all of our members are apprised of on status, etc.

Best - and any questions in the meantime - please let me know!

Leigh

Leigh
Community Manager

Hi ThoRig,

Below are the steps you need to take in order to make your current public images private:

1. Access your Member Profile.

Access Member Profile.png

1. On the right hand side rail of your profile, Click on “My Photos”.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.05.16 AM.png

1. You then will see “All Images”.  You can manage change image status via this tab or thru the “Albums” tab.  There are three default albums:  Private, Profile & Public. (below screenshots are based on using the “Albums” tab.)

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.09.35 AM.png

1. Click on your “Public” album.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.06.35 AM.png

1. Select the image you want to make “Private” and then click the “Image Options” dropdown and select “Move Image”.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.16.19 AM.png

1. Select the new destination album “Hidden” and select “Move”.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.17.51 AM.png

For any new image uploads, you have the ability to select which album where you assign the image. Based on the board you post the image to will determine the default album it will be assigned.  (aka - if you post in a public board – the default album assigned will be “Profile”)

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.21.55 AM.png

I hope this answers your question.  If not, please let me know!

Best,

Leigh

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Leigh)

Be careful!  Deleting images, or making them private, will make them no longer visible in the discussion threads they were originally used in.

I really struggle with this behavior.  If a user doesn't have rights to edit a post after 24 hours, how can they be allowed to completely alter a previous post by removing all images that were included in it?

Leigh
Community Manager
(To:TomU)

Hi TomU,

Great point - and something I thought of as well.  So prior to posting my response, I verified what would happen by taking this action (moving an image from Public to Hidden) 

So, I had a public image that I had attached to a post a few years ago.  I moved that posts image from my Public Album to my Hidden Album and then went back to confirm that the image was still visible in the post itself.  It was still visible.  

So perhaps I answered the wrong question here.  🙂  When an image is used in replying to a post, the image will remain visible to any member who has the ability to view that post.  When you attach an image in a Community post, it is also assigned to an album under your member profile.  It is under your member profile where you can change visibility status.  In short, if another member looks at your profile - they will only be able to see your Profile and Public albums - not your Hidden album.

TomU - if you are seeing behaviour other than what I described above, please let me know and I will investigate further.

Thanks!

Leigh

TomU
23-Emerald IV

1.)  Something has definitely changed.  In the past all new images used to upload by default to the 'Public' folder.  Now for some reason they are defaulting to the 'Profile' folder.  This makes absolutely no sense.

TomU_0-1586372353182.png

This is definitely a recent change, clearly demonstrated by the number of images currently in my 'Public' folder vs. the number in my 'Profile' folder.  (I never manually select which folder something should upload to.)

TomU_1-1586372443028.png

I don't see any way to configure the default upload folder in user preferences, so if this was a systems change made on the back end, please undo it.  I don't want every picture I upload automatically going into the 'Profile' folder.  This is for profile pictures (meaning pictures used for my profile image.)

2.)  Pasting an image directly into a response will automatically add it to the 'Public' folder.  (Not sure why the difference...)

3.)  When creating or responding to a thread in a closed area, images automatically default to the 'Hidden' folder.

4.)  Moving an image from the 'Public' folder to the 'Hidden' folder does not prevent it from being viewed in posts that already reference it.  It just means other users can't browse to your profile and see it in your album.  If the original poster needs to actually block these images from being viewed everywhere on the site, moving them to the 'Hidden' folder won't help.

4.)  Deleting an image from any of the albums will permanently remove it from the site and no longer display it any place it previously appeared.  Instead, the 'image_not_found.png' picture will be displayed.

TomU_0-1586372913355.png

Leigh
Community Manager

Hi @TomU,

I really appreciate your feedback and as I would like to ensure that we are aligned on your past, as well as current, Community platform experience, I will PM you to set up a call to further discuss.  I have recently been assigned responsibility for Community platform management, and my primary objective in my new role is to ensure that our members understand our platform capabilities and address any questions/concerns they may have when utilizing the PTC Community.  

We can post the outcome of our discussion to this thread so that other Community members interested in this topic are apprised of current status for their continued reference. 

For anyone subscribed to this thread, I will be moving this Topic to the Community Feedback Board.  (Yes  @Dale_Rosema, I will be leaving a Placeholder for notification - and it will expire!)  :- )

Best,

Leigh

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

We are so glad to have you more actively involved in helping to architect the community member experience.  So glad you are part of the team @Leigh !  You all are in great hands!

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

We are so glad to have you more actively involved in helping to architect the community member experience.  So glad you are part of the team @Leigh !  You all are in great hands!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

If something was posted that was proprietary and should not have been posted, you can appeal to the moderator to take part or all the post. I think that has been done once or twice.

ThoRig
12-Amethyst

LeighPTC:  If I understand correctly, when I insert an image into a topic, it is automatically public?  Thank for the instructions, as they were very clear.

ThoRig
12-Amethyst

While uploading a photo, I now see the option to select Hidden or Public.

public_hidden_photos.JPG

Top Tags