1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders. My company is a manufacturing company, I am a "Project Engineer for PLM & design services". My stakeholders are Windchill and CAD users in the design department.
2. What product and version are you currently running? Creo Elements Direct Modeling 20.4.1, Creo Elements Direct Drafting 20.3.2, Windchill PDM Link 12.1, Windchill 12.0.2 and other PTC products
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
When creating a sheet metal part in Creo Elements Direct Modeling with several bends and lips there is currently no warning for overlapping contours in the „Unfold 2D“ command in Sheet Metal or the „Create Flat“ in Annotation.
Unfold 2D command in Sheet Metal module, sample of simple overlapping bends:
Create flat command in Annotation, sample of simple overlapping bends:
Users in the design department have to unfold complex sheet metal parts to get a feedback from Creo Elements Direct Modeling if the part is ok or not.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
Parts with overlapping contours in flat and generated XML files can not be manufactured. Normally in follow up processes the error is identified and rejected for rework. This costs time and money.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization? The biggest business value would be if a check is included that those simple errors could be repaired directly in the first version of the design process before releasing those parts.