cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

64-bit Model Manager

DanAdler
12-Amethyst

64-bit Model Manager

It looks like with the release of Creo Elements/Direct 20.2 that Model Manager is finally 64-bit! Has anyone tried it out yet?

14 REPLIES 14

We have been waiting for ages for this 64-bit MM.
Finally it arrived, however due to the changed policy for JAVA we have not yet installed it.

(MM 20.2 and all future Releases no longer ship with Java)

@DanAdler wrote:

It looks like with the release of Creo Elements/Direct 20.2 that Model Manager is finally 64-bit! Has anyone tried it out yet?

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:MaxR.Kublin)

Could you please clarify? Does version 20.2 of Model Manager run in 64-bit? If not, when is it expected?

It runs as 64-bit!

But you need to supply a JAVA 11 to install/run.

This is due to the changed JAVA policy of ORACLE.

Hi Max,
Can you please clarify what that means? Do we need to buy Java separately? Or is it free? Does Java need to be installed on both the server and the clients? Thanks

Concerning Java, please check:
https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS294350

Sorry, forgot to answer the other question.
YES.

Java needs to be installed on the server *and* on each client where you want to install the Model Manager client.

When you run the SETUP.EXE on the Server, it will prompt you to enter the path to a JAVA 11 installation.
When the installation on the server is done, a ModelManagerSetup.exe will be created.
But when you run this ModelManagerSetup.exe on a client (e.g. through the SDS), it will again

prompt you for a path to a JAVA. Means that you need to provide JAVA 11 on each client machine.

This change is not related to 64-Bit Model Manager but rather to the changed JAVA policy of ORACLE.

See also the corresponding discussion about support for Open Source JAVA:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Elements-Direct-Ideas/Support-for-Open-Source-Java-for-Model-Manager/idc-p/609128#M127

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply Max. Have you found a site or a document which lists exactly which Java products and which versions are needed for Creo Elements Direct Manager Server 20.2 and for Model Manager? Do we need the JDK? JRE? Both? I can't find any documentation which lists exactly what we need to buy and install.

We are basically sitting in the same boat - in the process of clarifying what is exactly needed

to be 100% clean concerning the new JAVA policy of Oracle.
I am (still) a developer/consultant - not a sales guy - so I cannot comment on what type of
Java product/support needs to be bought (and how many of it).

We are sitting in the same boat - in the process of clarifying what is exactly needed

to be 100% clean concerning the new JAVA policy of Oracle.
I am (still) a developer/consultant - not a sales guy - so I cannot comment on what type of
Java product/support needs to be bought (and how many of it).

For the Java version needed please refer to the following article:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS299236 Java 11, 64bit.

Please note as well the issues we found with MM 20.2.0.0 that are all fixed in MM 20.2.1.0, coming in October 2019:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=C309415

Error: Document C309415 either does not exist or might have been pulled out from the knowledge base

More insight into the 64-Bit Model Manager.

- uses 64-Bit Java   ->  does not run out of Java memory as 32-bit versions did

- However, the "WM Kernel" is still 32 bit (no wonder to me)
  -> has the similar memory limit for logical tables and other data structures that reside in the WM kernel

Also, the version 20.2 comes with another change:   JAVA File Server (only)

previous releases had both kinds of file servers (classic C-based 32-bit  and JAVA-based).

MM 20.3 comes with Amazon Coretto Support 

Also, with 20.3, the "classic"  (non-Java) File Server is back, so you can choose which File Server you want to use.
Everything is 64-Bit - so "out of Java Memory" errors should be history.
However, as described earlier, MM still uses the 32-Bit-Kernel, which has certain implications.

The newest release currently is 20.3.2.0  (=20.3M020) as of Jan 2021

Top Tags