cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Embossing Text on cylinder in Creo Elements Express

BenW
5-Regular Member

Embossing Text on cylinder in Creo Elements Express

Hello all,

I'm trying to emboss text on a cylinder in Creo Elements Express.  I do the following:

1) Create cylinder

2) Create workplane parallel to cylinder face

3) "Modeling->Modify 2D->Text to Profile" the text onto the workplane

4) "3D Geometry->3D Curve->Wrap on Surf" the text onto the cylinder

...At this point I can use "Modeling->Modify 3D->Pull" to emboss the text, but it embosses linearly, as opposed to embossing out relative to the surface of the cylinder.  I suspect I should be using "Modeling->Modify 3D->Offset", but I can't figure out which set of options (if any) can accomplish this.

Any ideas?

-BW

11 REPLIES 11

I am not able to test this myself, but what if you created a work plane perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder.  Draw a circle on the cylinder and align the faces to the circle?

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0
BenW
5-Regular Member
(To:ThomasKirkman)

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're suggesting. If I draw a circle on the workplane, then wrap it onto the cylinder, how do I use that to solve my problem?

This is a feature introduced in V19.  You can align faces to geometry.  Look at this tutorial on the PTC website.

https://learningconnector.ptc.com/content/tut-3481/reviewing-enhanced-align-functionality?isNew=false

I hope this helps.

BenW
5-Regular Member

Am I doing the align on the text after it is imprinted on the cylinder? If so, what am I aligning it to?

I gave it a try and it did not work in this situation.  I have used the align to edge before, where could align a face to geometry drawing on a work plane.  I will keep trying to see if I can do it.

BenW
5-Regular Member

Thanks for your help!  I've attached my file at the point where I get stuck.

I have the full version and cannot open files from the free version.  It also explains why you do not have the align to 2d geometry. 

BenW
5-Regular Member

I do have the options shown in the video, but the "Align" tool seems to work on a single face, so it can't work on the text imprinted onto the surface of the cylinder.  "Pull" says "Faces", not "Face", and allows the text to be pulled, but all the text gets pulled linearly, not relative to the curvature of the cylinder.

FriedhelmK
17-Peridot
(To:BenW)

Hi Ben

The post is already older.
I don't know if it still helps you and/or if it is what you wanted.
Can only show here how I would do it.

This is made with Direct Modeling Express 8.0

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

Uploaded the wrong pdf   🙄

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )
FriedhelmK
17-Peridot
(To:BenW)

Hi,

Have found a video about this.
Maybe this is more helpful

PTC Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express | Kante auf Fläche (gebogen) Teil 2 - YouTube

Have a nice day

Top Tags